AU1 I6 problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2004, 21:28   #1 (permalink)

AU1 I6 problems

OK, we've got a AU Fairmont which blows black dusty smoke on ignition (especially first run of the day). I tried using fuel additive (brand has slipped my mind) and it seemed to fix the problem i.e.: better acceleration, less/no dust blasting out the back during acceleration etc. I used a sensible portion of additive EVERY time I fill up the car, as its the only way of avoiding the smoke. However, a tank or so later once I stop using the additive, the smoke and poor responsiveness of the engine comes back. I've tried numerous different brands of fuel and from different locations with no result, so I'm utterly convinced the car is stuffed in someway. What is causing this? How can it be fixed? I'd prefer ideas that didnít involve a Ford dealer repairing anything, they're crap and cause more problems than they ever fix.

Secondly, the fuel consumption is hideous. Typical trips are about suburb->city and back again, and a little (say 50-100 kms) highway travel. Even when driven like a granny, maximum kms are about 290 per tank. This doesnít seem nearly enough to me.

I'm looking for real advice here, its a good car but these two things are really shiting me.

And finally, does window tinting done by Ford on new vehicles have a lifetime warrantee? The rear window has some horrendous bubbling and rippling effects all over and is a bit of an eyesore (the car is only 3 or so years old too!!!).

Last edited by Nobby; 01-26-2004 at 21:31.
Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2004, 22:09   #2 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Re: AU1 I6 problems

Sounds like it is running way too rich, check all the sensors or get them checked properly, intake, oxygen sensor etc.

Window tinting if it was good stuff will carry a 5+ year warranty, ford would have subbed the work out, but as they supervised talk to them first, and don't take NO for an answer, if is badly bubbled you can even run a risk of not passing a roadworthy (not that VIC have them per year).

Jason

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 22:12   #3 (permalink)
mmmmm....kookyfudge

I think the black smoke is from running rich which would make sense as you fuel consumption is waay up! average from my tank is around 450ish.

Incomplete combustion of the mixtures perhaps? check the plugs

Im not all that mechanically minded but these might be worth a look. Engine management would be a good start as XT220 suggested

kooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 22:41   #4 (permalink)
known as tibbo

You haven't mentioned the odo reading or what else other than adding octane booster
you have tried to fix the problem
In this order i'd be looking at
Air and Fuel filter, plugs and Leads, cat convertor then move onto diagnostics and codes,,Failing that coil pack and sensors (although they should pump out codes if faulty)
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 23:13   #5 (permalink)

Man even my car gets more than 290 to a tank.
17" ROH Shadow Chrome RT's, K&N Air Filter, LSD Conversion w/ 3.7 Gears.
Proudest Addition: Socks the Brindle Staffy Girl.
Proud TQE Operator
6pAc|30nG|00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 18:01   #6 (permalink)

My AU I Fairmont has around 95K, fuel economy is pretty good I thought using almost 2 tanks from Cooma NSW to Brisbane with 2 adults and 3 grown children in car with all holiday gear sitting on or around speed limit. This would probably equate to around 700 to the tank at highway speeds. No sign of any black smoke currently.
BlueOvalFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 14:31   #7 (permalink)
On the 7th God Made Ford

Where does it idle at?

I always said I hit 180rwkw N/A I'd supercharge

And now I'm there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jah_Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 00:34   #8 (permalink)

OK, more info:

64,400 Km on the clock.
Range: 220-260 per tank

I've been using Nulon fuel additive and it gives good-ish results (an extra 30-40kms per tank, better acceleration, etc), except that the car goes back to its old habits once I stop using it.

Its not driven all that hard at all.

Also, the exhaust tip is BLACK with soot and grime. Not happy, it was lovely shiny chrome once long, LONG ago... :-D

Oh, and it idles anywhere between 700rpm and 1400rpm, dependly on how the planets are aligned and whether the cat licked her left paw or right paw first in the morning.

Last edited by Nobby; 01-31-2004 at 00:41. Reason: Forgot info
Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 01:34   #9 (permalink)
EFI 351c TD CORTINA

i saw a ba fairmont 6 floggin it to get through a yello infront of me, and it blew some fuel out the back also. and totally squatted on its bum when floored too.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:50   #10 (permalink)

try the tps it may be fasulty giving poor idle like suggested and fattening up the mixture
chrispie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech