Ford Forums banner

AU1 XR6 VCT rev cutout?

7K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  85ltdcrownvic 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the cut out is on the XR6 VCT? I took it to about 5500rpm today and felt it waiver. Just curious if I hit the cutout or not?

#2 ·
Been cleening out the cobwebs mate. Im unsure but have left mine in first at it gets to around 5500 maybee a little more but seems to just hold. I still am yet to work out if this is the rev limiter or if it even has one on my AU. From what your explaining it sounds about right. Maybe someone else can help us out Casper

#4 ·
It very well could have been 5700rpm, at that point I was having to watch the road as much as the guages and, as much as Bracks thinks this is possible, I have yet to develop the "cockeye" that lets me do this.
Steve, this was also in first and I have to say I was suprised how quick it hit the redline and how fast I was actually going! I had just changed oils and was just trying to "swish" it around a bit.....that's my story, sticking to it! :s6:

#5 ·
Casper,

For the AU XR6's (both VCT and HP) the redline/cutout is 5750rpm.

#7 ·
Casper said:
Thanks Strider. Is it a fuel cut out or electronic cutout?
I believe the limiter works by cutting spark to the engine and the limiter is quite aggressive ie. you feel a sudden cut out whilst the engine drops 200rpm or so lower and then the engine revs again. I haven't kept the boot in to find out exactly, but i have hit the limiter and then changed gears.

#9 ·
XR_Strider_GuY said:
I believe the limiter works by cutting spark to the engine and the limiter is quite aggressive ie.
I remember hitting the rev limiter in my Suby, the car lurched so suddenly I thought the missus pulled the handbrake on!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.