AU2 Tickford I6 motor upgrades question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2004, 01:39   #1 (permalink)
What's all that about?

AU2 Tickford I6 motor upgrades question

Hello everyone,

My AU2 Fairlane has the Tickford inline six motor in it. I'd like to do something with it that will provide better response and power output, while being reliable, generally smooth and won't bust the bank. I've replaced the paper air filter with a K&E unit. Any suggestions on the current trends?

Also, is the snorkel to the air filter box to the front grill the XR6 snorkel?

And this might sound silly, but can I improve the fuel economy by any of these upgrades?

Thank you,

Andrew.
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2004, 04:18   #2 (permalink)
wants a manual!

Re: AU2 Tickford I6 motor upgrades question

lumpier cam and computer mods would be the next thing and also a high flow exhaust. these are all pretty easy to do and is about the only things you can do to the motor without ripping it out for a full in houe rebuild to get more power. but you may need stiffer springs for the cam. they can be changed without pulling the head off but you need the right equiptment.
John_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 16:11   #3 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Andrew, the Fairlane had the VCT engine which is not quite the same as the XR6 VCT engine - others will know more about this, eg people who own them, but start with the exhaust as the VCT complicates the cam issue.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 16:30   #4 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Exhaust, and then possibly chip it would probably be the go.
Both would potentially yield economy improvements, although with extra go, people usually use it :)

A Cam will make the car a little rougher, or a lot, depending on how wild you go. Depending on your outlook (hoon looking to drag, or just want a little more go while cruising to the country club), the cam might not be the best option in terms of smoothness...
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 16:34   #5 (permalink)
BOFH

ok, the engine is an XR6 VCT engine and is identical in every way except the exhaust which I believe is slightly changed (sodium filled or something) to reduce noise what reduced power by about 4kw.
Now as it is a VCT engine your options are almost nothing. Forget extractors or cat backs etc, they have proven on every VCT owner I have asked who has them to be a waste of money for performance increase.
As for a cam, also another dead end. JMM hs some upgrades that are grossly overpriced and have little increase for the price. I have even spoken directly to Crow Cams and they quoted $400 for a cam, that will also need a puggy back chip, fitting and a dyno tune (at least $1000 if not more all up) and they could not guarentee and increase in power.
Filters will do something but it will be minimal and you can get yourself an XR8 snorkle which once again will be minimal.
Unfortunatly the VCT motor is a difficult one to gain any major increase out off short of forced induction. I have given up on all the other options and deceided to go the turbo route, seems to be the only way to get significantly more power.

Sorry for the bad news!

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 16:48   #6 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

. . . VCT donk . . . my bad ! :(
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 18:21   #7 (permalink)
What's all that about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
ok, the engine is an XR6 VCT engine and is identical in every way except the exhaust which I believe is slightly changed (sodium filled or something) to reduce noise what reduced power by about 4kw.
Now as it is a VCT engine your options are almost nothing. Forget extractors or cat backs etc, they have proven on every VCT owner I have asked who has them to be a waste of money for performance increase.
As for a cam, also another dead end. JMM hs some upgrades that are grossly overpriced and have little increase for the price. I have even spoken directly to Crow Cams and they quoted $400 for a cam, that will also need a puggy back chip, fitting and a dyno tune (at least $1000 if not more all up) and they could not guarentee and increase in power.
Filters will do something but it will be minimal and you can get yourself an XR8 snorkle which once again will be minimal.
Unfortunatly the VCT motor is a difficult one to gain any major increase out off short of forced induction. I have given up on all the other options and deceided to go the turbo route, seems to be the only way to get significantly more power.

Sorry for the bad news!
Wow, OK! That's surprising news. I like the car as it is, and I'm a lazy auto trans driver too, so anything major I do to it I guess I won't be using to its potential anyway.

This forum web site is a great way to get help. I must make a donation. I've been reading it for about a year before finally getting my first Ford. Thanks everyone for the help! :)

So what kinda prices we talking about when it comes to forced induction turbo for this type of motor? This is a turbocharger, yes?

My understanding of turbos years ago was that they require the engine to get to a certain speed before they have any effect (even tho it may be mere seconds in reality). Is this still the case? And do they feed off air from outside the engine bay, and so will require extra snorkels?

Regards,

Andrew.
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 18:49   #8 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
Wow, OK! That's surprising news. I like the car as it is, and I'm a lazy auto trans driver too, so anything major I do to it I guess I won't be using to its potential anyway.

This forum web site is a great way to get help. I must make a donation. I've been reading it for about a year before finally getting my first Ford. Thanks everyone for the help! :)

So what kinda prices we talking about when it comes to forced induction turbo for this type of motor? This is a turbocharger, yes?

My understanding of turbos years ago was that they require the engine to get to a certain speed before they have any effect (even tho it may be mere seconds in reality). Is this still the case? And do they feed off air from outside the engine bay, and so will require extra snorkels?

Regards,

Andrew.
Basically Forced induction is either Turbo or Supercharger.
I have been looking in great detail at both option and basically either will give a very good performaince gain.
It appears to me that the Turbo option is the way to go (this is my opinion, please feel free to look into it) for a number of reasons.
My 2 biggest concerns were of course lag and heat issues however both og these have long since been sorted. Yes a turbo does take time to spool up (as do superchargers) however this can be from as low as 2000rpm or even lower. Considereing that the auto & VCT I6 can quiet easily be stalled up to 2000rpm in stock form this would mean that it would be quite easy to take off from a standing start already on boost.....the goal I am after.

As for prices? Well, basically it depends on who is installing it, is it a new or used system and what extras you get such as intercoolers etc. I am personally looking at a TSA turbo kit system fully installed with intercooler for my XR6 VCT which will not give any change from $8000. But for close to 200rwkw it's a bargin! With weight and handeling charactureistis it would basically be an XR8 killer in that setup and certainly give both the BA XR8, XR6T and even the GTP's a serious run for their money.

Old 03-01-2004, 01:48   #9 (permalink)
Nice car. Driver's a pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper

Sorry for the bad news!

Casper, where did you hear that the VCT is difficult to gain major increase out of?

I have an AUIII Fairmont Ghia (auto) with the I6 VCT motor. I added cold air induction, extractors, cat back, Chiptorque chip tuned at at Silverwater Auto, and it dynoed at 145rwkw, and it runs like a rat. The difference between new and now is absolutely remarkable.

the black pig
Old 03-01-2004, 02:12   #10 (permalink)
BOFH

I think that the chiptorque may be the big difference. Seems that without a chip of some kind they just dont want to know about mods. 145rwkw is impressive I must say.
Can I ask what sore of CAI you fitted? Do you have any pics?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech