AU2 XR6 VCT Questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2002, 20:25   #1 (permalink)

Question AU2 XR6 VCT Questions

Hi,

Was thinking about getting the AU2 XR6 VCT. Have there been any major problems with the car, like oil leaks, flat spots (seen it mentioned on these forums) ect? What about the suspension? When will the car start to give me major problems?
So if I get the car, I wouldn't be bombarded with all these probelms that will require the cheque book going crazy?

What can the car do from 0-100km/h in secs?

Would you recommend the XR6, or a VT commy with a supercharged V6?

I've only been in a AU1 forte, and it felt much better than a VT commy.

Thanks in advanced for any replys.
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2002, 21:19   #2 (permalink)
Australian XR6 Member

Dave,

I've had my AUII XR6 VCT for just on 12 months. In that time, I've done nearly 30,000 k's. It still feels as strong as the day I bought it. I up graded from an AU1 Futura.

There were known problems with the IRS in early models, but these should of been fixed under warranty. Personally, I haven't had the problem. There was a recall for the excelerator cable gromit an 1 other thing that I can't remember.

The only other problem I've had with it occured yesterday when there was a loose connection to the starter motor.

If you wanted to do any major engine mods, it's recommended that you go with the XR6 HP. I've heard that the VCT is limited in the amount of work you can do with it within a tight budget.

Although the IRS adds around 80kg's (I think) compared to the XR6 HP, personally, I couldn't/wouldn't go back.

I've only driven a standard VT commondore, and the interior in the XR leaves it for dead.

The difference in the handling is noticable as soon as you start to roll.

Hope this helps.

Darren

But I usually let HER sleep.........
Dinga's XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 05:37   #3 (permalink)
3FB Food Press

I've had my series 3 VCT for 6 months and so far so good. You will find the rear tyres on the Commodore will wear a bit faster than the Falcon IRS as the Holden setup wears the insides of the tyres out prematurely. Also the Falcon is a bit more precise in the steering and handling, partially due to the 17 inch wheels on the Ford and the more communicative steering. I've got a mate with a supercharged S Commodore and he loves it though. I think the seats are a bit flat and plain though. His is about a year old and hasn't had any problems. I think you can only get an auto in the Holden though so if you are after a manual then another point to the Falcon.
Vinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 03:47   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for your replys.

What can the XR6 and VT S/Charged commy do from 0-100km/h?

Also, what prices are we talking here? Wouldn't the VT commy be cheaper? Around $30,000 for the XR6 and something like $20,000 for the commy? But the XR6 has tons more features, and as you mentioned, the interior looks better, right?

Thanks again.
Old 09-13-2002, 04:04   #5 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

The XR6 VCT can do O-100km/h in 8.07secs, Commo S s/c does it in 7.6secs.

But keep in mind that the commo runs out of huff after 100km/h.

A fully optioned bodykit, 17's momo etc low km's XR6 VCT still commands around $35-36k.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 06:47   #6 (permalink)
Boat Hunting ;)

Quote:
Originally posted by XR_Strider_GuY

this is true, but i have always been of the opinion that i would rather have a quick 0-100 time... how often do you actually get to travel much over 100 (especially in the eastern states) 120ish is usually about it apart from the occasional squirt... so most of your driving is done 0-60, 0-80 0-100 style...

i cant really see the point of a car that can do 220km/h when its 0-100 isnt that impressive... just my 2.2 AUS cents
AU2 S-pack Owner: Silhouette Black, XR6 Wheels, Tickford Sunroof, C2R rear bar, Checker Plate Floor Mats, Chrome Door Sills, Blue Backlite Dash, Blue Painted Brake Callipers, Advanced Extractors, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, 2.5" Stainless Steel Mandrel Bent Custom Exhaust, Genie Muffler. Sony Explode 50w x 4 deck, Kenwood 140w speakers (front and rear), Boss 1200 watt Amplifier, 12" Orion Sub in custom box. More To Come!!
younggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 07:21   #7 (permalink)
BAII XR6T Driver!

The VCT may be slightly slower to the hundred than the VT S S/C, however the XR6 is a much, much better drive. Before the XR6 I drove a VT S (for about 18 months) and IMO the XR6 is in a different league.

The steering in the XR6 is communicative and the IRS is fantastic. Whereas the steering on the Commodore is deader than disco and the IRS is from a previous time period. Also the gear change in the XR6 is better than what was in the V6 S I used to drive (note that you can't get a manual in the S/C S, however from all accounts the auto box in the Commodore is rather ordinary).

I have had a few minor problems with the XR6 (however nothing as bad as in the VT S though). The first one being occasionally when giving it WOT in first gear the engine would cut out at 3-4000rpm for a second or so, however this hasn't happened to me for a few months and I know that this problem relates to the fuel hose (according to someone in Ford servicing, who is high up the chain) so if you experience this problem it can be fixed. The only other problem being that it chewed up a set of tyres after 25,000 kays, I think it was, however that was mainly due to wheel alignment.

On balance IMO it is a much better can than the S/C S and believe me it certainly doesn't feel slow. Iam pretty sure you wouldn't be disapointed with an XR6VCT.

Also all AUII XR6 VCT's built after June 2001 come with 17" wheels standard. These can be identified by having colour coded mirrors, as far as I know this was also the time they droped the LSD on the HP XR6 as well, however the VCT continued to come standard with an LSD - thats for sure :s6: ).
Old 09-13-2002, 09:26   #8 (permalink)

Are you interested in modifing them?
A VT Supercharged with extractors, exhaust, cold air, smaller supercharger pully, higher stall converter and chip it would give most LS1s a scare.....(even more so in the lighter VS)

Unfortuanatly theres not much you can do with the VCT XR6, other than an exhaust.
You actually have a better scope for power increase with just the HP model
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 15:52   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by XR_Strider_GuY

Is that with a XR6 Auto or Manual? Or doesn't it matter?
Old 09-15-2002, 17:12   #10 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave007

Is that with a XR6 Auto or Manual? Or doesn't it matter?
Thats for the manual.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech