Ford Forums banner

AUIIXR6's PACE case update

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Lightning 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Just a quick note to let anyone know who's interested in what's happening with the ongoing 'issues' that I've previously discussed (search for threads posted by me)...

I was contacted by the dealer on Friday to advise me that Ford had updated the PACE case.

Apparently, there was a prototype replacement tailshaft that fixed the 'clunking' and the surging in the manual VCT's, but it 'fell apart' on a test car, so it was back to the drawing board on that.

However, Ford had advised that an alternative clutch (a 'PVR' clutch?) was available which would help fix the problem. The dealer got the only 1 in WA in and fitted it yesterday. Apparently, it didn't even work (sorry, don't know the details), so I have my original clutch back in (with a vastly adjusted feel, there's about a 1cm 'active' area, it's taking a bit of getting used to!).

The service manager advised me that there was a new tailshaft just around the corner, so he'd keep me posted.

However, since they've put the additive in the diff, changed the oil, changed the seal etc, the clunk is almost non-existant, we just need to fix the 'bunny hopping'.

Regards,

Simon....

See less See more
#2 ·
Excellent news AUII XR6, I hope ford will release this new tailshaft for the XR6 soon. I know a few of us HP guys are anxiously waiting for a fix from Ford.

If these diff clunking/ driveline noises are cured i can say that i'll be over the moon.
So far i've been to 2 ford dealers and they say theres nothing released yet for these driveline issues on XR6's. But one of the dealer has acknowledged that there is a problem with the XR6 HP's.
I'm very interested to know what this additive is in the diff that eliminates the clunks/knocks.

Thanks for the update mate. :tup: :tup:

#3 ·
Interesting, I had my car in the dealers last week with reagrds to my noises and as a result am now waiting for the so called PVR clutch ( I thought they said PBR) to come up from Melbourne. Hmmmm I wonder if this will be delayed now?

Thanks for the information.

#4 ·
Except for the tailshaft noises, I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

I have no diff noises, bunny hopping or clutch problems. I do have tailshaft noise and after being told what the problem is I've learnt to live with it. Though a fix would be nice!

I'm not having a go at you guys or claiming that my XR6 is better in anyway it's just that I'm either ignorant of noises or lucky. It just seems that people are having problems yet I've owned an AU and an AUII and never had any.

I do hope for your sake that they are cleared up quickly and you can get on with enjoying your cars.

#5 ·
The 'bunny hopping' is driveline backlash - I get it occassionally if I'm sloppy with my clutch - though I can be sloppy as hell with the EA, and it doesn't do it. The noises they are talking about seem to be mostly affecting HPs. From all the discussion we've had, it seems theres a flywheel issue that resonates down the tailshaft causing grinding noises and certain times. Dunno about this clutch fix, but if that cures the source of the problem then the mass dampner/shaft harmonic balancer we've heard of might only be curing the side effects, not the root cause. Interesting! Seems we HP-owning FFers are making more headway collectively than individuals Ford service departments are.

#6 ·
Yeap at 18k the only driveline characteristics are what VenomXR mentioned about the fly wheel resonating via tailshaft at 4th or 5th gear under 2000rpm and slight diff clunks.
As a guide as well with the EF i can drive to say 20km/h or less and the diff/driveline doesn't jerk, but with the XR6 3rd gear at 30km/h it starts to jerk.

I so far have no issues with the clutch, seems uptake is smooth and haven't bunny hoped it once.
As a guide how far is does everyones clutch pedal sit. Mine is under the brake pedal probably about 1cm - 2cm.

I too are intriqued what this new clutch will do for us XR6 HP Manual owners. Perhaps the resonating tailshaft is transmitted from the clutch disc and/or clutch assembly.

#7 ·
{Interesting, I had my car in the dealers last week with regards to my noises and as a result am now waiting for the so called PVR clutch ( I thought they said PBR) to come up from Melbourne. Hmmmm I wonder if this will be delayed now?}

I Have an AU1 VCT XR6 and it has the problem of a hollow resonance when backing off through 2,000 revs, particulary noticable in 4th. There is a PACE case opened on my car and Ford replaced the clutch 6 weeks ago. No difference. They do say however that it is a clutch problem.
Last I heard from Ford Coustomer Relations was that Ford are trying to source a modified clutch assembly from a manufacturer in the US as they are unable to get it made in Australia.
As for the clunking diff, if you have IRS check the half shafts where they go into the hubs. There was a bad batch which Ford are aware of. With the handbrake on and out of gear (much easier on a hoist) rock the tailshaft back and forward and look at the halfshafts. There should be no movement where the splines of the halfshafts meet the hubs. This repair cured about 90% of the diff clunking.

#9 ·
blurter said:
Can someone tell me what the PACE Case is?
My understanding is that it's what a dealer logs with Ford if they're unable to resolve a technical issue. Don't know what it stands for, but it makes a change from the TLA's I have to deal with all day!

(TLA=Three letter acronym)

Simon....

#10 ·
My original understanding, from the Workshop Foreman, was that it was an engine management issue. He told me that this was a known problem in the manual VCT. Why it's suddenly turned into an apparent clutch problem, I have no idea.

"Bunny hopping" is probably a bit strong a description, basically it's whenever your slowing down with no acceleration (trailing throttle?), the car tends to surge, or jerk. It can be quite violent if you're not ready for it. It particularly seems to happen (for me) in 1st or 2nd.

Apparently, this is the cause of the clunk, as the driveline flexes.

But, I'm not a mechanic, so.... :cursethis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.