BA I6 Motor rusty, chewin oil - What the .? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2004, 03:42   #1 (permalink)
I before V.....with 240T.

frown BA I6 Motor rusty, chewin oil - What the .?

The story goes......

Got a Barra XLS Ute (I6) about a month & a half ago (March 04 build), upgrade from an XH. Was bloody happy with it when I got it, the thing rides and handles so well. It didn't seem to have the power that a 182kw motor should (relative to the old XH, or an EL I6 sedan I have), but figured it was just running in. However all good things must come to end I suppose, about 2 weeks after I got the thing (about 1000km on the clock for gawd sakes ) the oil pressure alarm came up on the dash. Checked the oil....the thing was down to add on the dipstick. Took it back to the dealer and they checked it out, scratched their heads, added some oil (they reckon about 1 litre) and sent me on my way.

Anyway have been running it since, and took it back for the 3000km service. Checked before I went in and the damn thing was back down to the add on the dipstick. Voiced my concern to the dealership, as I have NEVER had a Ford motor chew oil from scratch like this once. Incidentally it still doesn't have the pick up of the EL, particularly at low revs, but I digress. Since then I have been checking around under the bonnet a bit, keeping an eye on things, and for some reason I shone the torch on the block and noticed the thing was bloody rusty. Having seen this I have looked closer over the motor and it also has rusty shafts on the pulleys.

Getting to the point, I was wondering if anyone else out there has noticed similar issues with their motors (ie is the block or other parts rusty?!). Is this now normal, particularly for a 2month old build? Could the fact it is rusty point to the possibility this motor was sitting for a while before being installed in the ute on the production line, causing some issue when it was first started up..hence the oil consumption?

I don't know what the go is, but it is using oil and does have a rusty block and rusty pulley shafts. This just doesn't seem normal (in my experience) for a Ford motor, particularly the I6 as I have never known them to rusty or oil guzzlers when new.

Much appreciate if people have any ideas/suggestions ...
I6dohc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2004, 04:10   #2 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

Re: BA I6 Motor rusty, chewin oil - What the .?

my AU block was rusty and had no paint left on it when i got it....1 year old. but considering the heat these motors put out i just thought it to be normal. never had a rpoblem with oil or the motor though.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:12   #3 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Firstly the rusty bits on the engine is the norm on a falcon engine. It's just very very light surface rust with nothing to worry about and will not rust out, just stays on the surface.

Next thing, an engine thats running in is quite normal to use abit of oil. I guess best way is to keep an eye on the engine and see if it keeps using oil. Personally i wouldn't wait for the oil to go to the add mark.

Cheers,
Gary.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 04:26   #4 (permalink)
I before V.....with 240T.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I definitely won't be letting it go down to the add mark. Will be checking it weekly.

I am surprised at the quantity of oil it is using (2L in the first 3000km), as my EL didn't suck any down when it was new and wasn't rusty when new. What struck me was the around the pulley shaft was rusty as well, and I would have thought this would take a little time to form (more than a couple of months).

I have seen on some other posts references to synthetic oil being used from new & that according to the scheduled services they don't changeout the oil until the 15000km service. Seems a fair stretch on a new engine, particularly one that is already consuming oil.
I6dohc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 06:27   #5 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

you should look at your uni joints then! i saw a AU 1 tonner brand new at the yard with out a tray and they had already started to rust.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:45   #6 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Is it using water?
If not, the rust isn't likely to be related to an engine problem you'd think... Still I wouldn't expect the level of rust you're describing at the age of that particular engine! Unless they forgot to paint the block

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 09:05   #7 (permalink)
She's a bit smokey :P

Ford haven't painted the blocks since EL
they all go rusty as soon as they get wet but as XR_Strider_GuY said it's only surface rust if you're that worried paint it yourself
2x1000W 12in subdoofers, splits,
TE cortina,Toyota Supra,TD cortina
460Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech