Ford Forums banner

BA Taxi Pack E Gas Engine

11K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  rawlinna 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Just thought i'd ask the panel of experts on here about the E-Gas engine on the BA. One of the cabbie's around my area has a BA 2002 model on dedicated Gas (Green rocker cover) and has covered 75k on the clock. One of the coil has failed (under warrenty) but has been priced at $135 from Ford for a replacement.

I'm just wondering, is it a common occurance on the Gas engines or is it a once off. I'd like to hear from other Falcon owners on the dedicated LPG engine. I would imagine in theory that the coil pack would be trouble free for pretty much the life of the car.

#2 ·
nope, I have had a few coil packs fail on me, from AU2 ULP to the AU3 dedicated gas cars.. I have noticed they don't 'die' as such but develope a miss that your cannot seem to tune out..Some at less than 100 000klm.. I would put 2 or 3 on a cab over its life, say one every 150-200 000 klm..

$135 is cheaper than an AU pack.. even at trade they are $200+

I don't run any BA's yet.. The two i know of that are cabs, both being dedicated LPg cars are crappers.. One is on its second engine @ 60 000 klm, the other could'nt pull the skin off custard and gets terrible economy..

I'm waiting to see how the BA's survive fleet life before i start replacing them as cabs

#3 ·
135 is a pretty shit price that must include labour...... At work we replace the all 6 and even the plugs for around the 350-400 mark... THey just get a back fire whick is hard to trace, they dont pack up completly, just become a real pain.
Id rather replace all 6 then just one that way the cab isnt of the road in anouther 10,000 k with the same problem because anouthrer coil failed.

So far in geelong at least i havnt seen to many problems with the ba motor in cabs, up to 190,000 i think and still going strong.

Main problems are.... Gas idle jet in converter blocks up (engine wont start or idle) and coil's ... other than that there fairly sound.. but ill like to see them near 400,000 to see if they can stand the test of time

The au motor was a dream engine, didnt hear of one doing less than 600,000

#9 ·
Like anything electrical some last some don't.Has got nothing to do with gas.My AU has done 572,000ks,original coil pack.Other people have changed them at 50,000ks,just the luck of the draw.

#12 ·
Has any one found a way of preventing the Gas idle jet in converters from blocking up?
(I assume this is the jet under the very top solenoid on the gas converter)
I have couple of AU3 and one BA which have all started gewing up, in the last month. The ford dealer told me its dirty gas and the gas people told me its ford so the problem is still there so once a week now I have to call out a mechanic to clean the jets
Having owned ford gas Taxis for 5 years I still can’t see any savings on having gas in the bush as the expertise in repairs isn’t out here and the average dealer just goes into trial and error
Are there any decent gas repair manual that I could purchase and maybe present to the local mechanics.

bernie

#13 ·
bernie heckel said:
Has any one found a way of preventing the Gas idle jet in converters from blocking up?
(I assume this is the jet under the very top solenoid on the gas converter)
I have couple of AU3 and one BA which have all started gewing up, in the last month. The ford dealer told me its dirty gas and the gas people told me its ford so the problem is still there so once a week now I have to call out a mechanic to clean the jets
Having owned ford gas Taxis for 5 years I still can’t see any savings on having gas in the bush as the expertise in repairs isn’t out here and the average dealer just goes into trial and error
Are there any decent gas repair manual that I could purchase and maybe present to the local mechanics.

bernie
Gas companies wont tell you the amount of butane they put into the propane, and thats the reason for gewing up.
Get a life will you, " I still can’t see any savings on having gas in the bush as the expertise in repairs isn’t out here and the average dealer just goes into trial and error the country have just as good, if not better gas mechanics.

#14 ·
robau3 said:
Gas companies wont tell you the amount of butane they put into the propane, and thats the reason for gewing up.
Get a life will you, " I still can’t see any savings on having gas in the bush as the expertise in repairs isn’t out here and the average dealer just goes into trial and error the country have just as good, if not better gas mechanics.
if that the best you can come up with the true hurts

#15 ·
bernie heckel said:
if that the best you can come up with the true hurts
I'm sorry bernie, jeez I should have asked you before I got my AUIII dedicated gas Futura, 'cause I live out in the country, where there are no mechanics.
So your saying to just buy a petrol engine in the bush and pay over $1.00 per litre.
Grow up bernie, the world doesn't end at the city limits.

#17 ·
Ask servo's what mix they have, none will tell you, either they don't know or scared to say ???
A couple of years ago an elgas outlet had a sign guarantee 100% propane, don't see these signs anymore.
I'd say the gas manufactures won't tell the servo's what there getting

#18 ·
robau3 said:
I'm sorry bernie, jeez I should have asked you before I got my AUIII dedicated gas Futura, 'cause I live out in the country, where there are no mechanics.
So your saying to just buy a petrol engine in the bush and pay over $1.00 per litre.

Grow up bernie, the world doesn't end at the city limits.
Hi robau3

I didn’t intend to belittle the country mechanics
So may we start again,
You would agree that most city Taxi fleets are quite a bit larger than the country taxi fleets thus
Some people get more hands on or exposure to gas
I own a gas fleet and seem to have nothing but trouble with the vehicles
But then again maybe it’s normal at say 13000KLms per month but we do servce ever 10000KLm as most taxis do
1st with the duel systems and now with the newer dedicated gas cars.
Yes fords have their problems so do other cars I could add quite a few chapters to the book of fords floors
But I’m stuck with them for the moment
The repair manual was a request from my mechanic because as you know most country lads are self taught
And to end all this I still haven’t fixed my gew problems

Bernie

#19 ·
bernie heckel said:
Hi robau3

I didn’t intend to belittle the country mechanics
So may we start again,
You would agree that most city Taxi fleets are quite a bit larger than the country taxi fleets thus
Some people get more hands on or exposure to gas
I own a gas fleet and seem to have nothing but trouble with the vehicles
But then again maybe it’s normal at say 13000KLms per month but we do service ever 10000KLm as most taxis do
1st with the duel systems and now with the newer dedicated gas cars.
Yes fords have their problems so do other cars I could add quite a few chapters to the book of fords floors
But I’m stuck with them for the moment
The repair manual was a request from my mechanic because as you know most country lads are self taught
And to end all this I still haven’t fixed my gew problems

Bernie
Bernie, you should be able to get your gas supplier to tell you the mixture that they get, if they'll tell you that is. if its a 60-40 propane to butane mix, yes you will have gunk problems with that many K's per week, and if you buy it all from the one supplier, get them to commit to a set cocktail.

#20 ·
Gas from Safeway I beleive does not contain any or very little butane. There are others... I know someone who knows the story as they work at a gas supplier which one I cant remember. ... I will try and get more details.

#21 ·
Back to the coil pack question... How does the coil know what sort of fuel is running through the inlet manifold? I just replaced the coil in my EL today at about 520 000 kms, and I think it was original from the look of it, and the @%$* tightness of the bolts! Ended up undoing the screws from the brackets to the coil to get it out!
It has to be luck of the draw as to how long it lasts, there's no way that having LPG draining the current, or running the fan on high all the time, or driving all day with headlights on can affect the coil. It's an inductive device, it depends on the insulation that's packed between the wires!

Disclaimer:- I am not qualified in anything!!!

#23 ·
RaceCraft said:
I'm waiting to see how the BA's survive fleet life before i start replacing them as cabs
It's off the subject but have you heard, or have any info about Toyota Avalons taking over from Falcons and being used as cabs now?
Supplied with dual fuel as secondary manufactured ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.