BA XR6T motor in EA - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2003, 09:10   #1 (permalink)
donuts2001

BA XR6T motor in EA

What type of issues are there regarding putting a XR6T motor from a BA into say an E-series. Does it have the same engine mounts etc as earlier models and would it fit without modification?

The wiring would not be a problem as I would aquire all neccessary wiring looms and computer for it, I'm mainly concerned regarding the physical fitment of the motor.

With a 300kg advantage on the BA a EA would be a absolute beast with a XR6T motor running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2003, 09:12   #2 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

for the cost of a non existant XT6T engine, you could turbo an EL engine and get 50%more power and be even quicker

Ill take it as a complement i think.............
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 09:42   #3 (permalink)
donuts2001

Quote:
for the cost of a non existant XT6T engine, you could turbo an EL engine and get 50%more power and be even quicker
The EF/EL only makes 157kw, whereas the BA creates 185kw and is a drop in solution for a turbo system.

To get a EL motor turboed would require a complete rebuild with compression dropped, ported to allow for better airflow, and a custom exhaust manifold made up for the Turbo, as well as stuffing around integrating water/oil cooling for the turbo. It's pretty hard to get a EL motor up to 185kw spec(before turbo) as well, that would require some serious work.

The Barra XR6T motor with a second hand reco'ed high compression turbo seems like a much easier drop in solution. 240kw before any mods? YES PLEASE!

And yeah your right you probably can't get a XR6T motor yet, I'd say it's due to the high demand for XR6T at the moment. There is like a 3 month waiting period for one. As soon as they ramp up production and can meet the demand, i'm sure Ford will sell entire motors as "spare parts"
Old 01-30-2003, 12:34   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by donuts2001
As soon as they ramp up production and can meet the demand, i'm sure Ford will sell entire motors as "spare parts"
If Ford were ever to contemplate doing the HSV thing, ie no sale of parts without VIN/ build numbers, then this one is where they would start.
Old 01-30-2003, 13:49   #5 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Well I guess it's OK to dream.

AU-BA motors have cast alloy sumps that are cross-bolted into the main bearings. These will not fit into an EA-EL K-member without modification. I would suggest modifying the frame rails (pretty minor alteration needed IMO) and grafting on a whole front AU subassembly (alloy crossmember, suspension, steering, etc) as this will accept a BA motor. The upper suspension A-arm and shock/strut mounts all appear to be identically located E-series - AU. Also fit an AU live axle rear to maintain consistent track widths front and rear and run AU or BA wheels.

I think you are underestimating the wiring/plumbing ECU issues. A BA ECU will be expecting drive-by-wire, the latest smartlock, ABS, traction control etc. Will you be retrofitting all that too? I'm sure someone will eventually do this and it will make a great project but probably end up costing as much as a BA XR6T to get it all working.

Also remember that the Barra240T motor is not just a Barra182 motor with a turbo whacked on the side. There are significant internal engine mods too. I really don't like your chances of buying or finding a 240T motor anytime soon.

We want a fully illustrated and step-by-step FF exclusive of the build-up, OK.
Old 01-30-2003, 17:27   #6 (permalink)
donuts2001

How much difference is there between the lower suspension of the AU and EA?

I know for VL-Turbo motor conversions for VK's, all that is required was a engine k-frame crossmember.

The ECU might throw out a lot of codes for the missing hardware but apart from smartlock i doubt any of that will stop the motor from running.

Quote:
We want a fully illustrated and step-by-step FF exclusive of the build-up, OK.
Hehe... long way from that yet. I still need a lot more money then what I have before that can happen I'm sure by the time I do, someone else would have already done it
Old 01-30-2003, 18:12   #7 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Quote:
Originally posted by donuts2001
How much difference is there between the lower suspension of the AU and EA?.....
EA-EL
Fabricated pressed steel K-member which supports engine, steering rack and forged steel lower arm and associated strut-rod? (maybe wrong name). Suspension upright contains upper & lower ball-joints with pin captured in pressed steel upper A-arm. Inner bushes for upper arms located on body-mounts. Mounts located by 4 holes.

AU (and as far as I know BA)
Cast alloy cross member supports engine, steering rack and rear leg of forged lower arm which is now of an A or L type shape. Forward leg of lower arm is supported forward of this crossmember. Suspension upright is similar in concept though upper balljoint is now carried by forged upper A-arm with pin captured in upright. Upper arm contain inner bushes. Mounts to body by same 4 holes.

Front spring/strut the same. Sway bar differences in both location and mountings though easily swapped over.

The frame rails as far as I can tell are the same shape but the location of positioning dowels and securing bolts differ slightly. These are just tack welded into predrilled holes. It would not be difficult to duplicate AU mounts on E-series rails.

The cast alloy sump and crossmember where major alteration introduced with AU to address stiffness and vibration. The removal of the K-member and replacement with a single crossmember aids head-on crash survivability (car crumples more easily).

Just to prove that K-member and alloy crossmembers can be swapped have a look at this AU rally ute of Scott Hart. It has had the reverse swap done. It carries an EB K-member & suspension with modified (legthened) EB uprights.
http://www.trueblueford.com/ScottsAU2xr8ute.html
Old 01-30-2003, 20:28   #8 (permalink)

Yes it would be a hell of a lot easier and cheaper to turbo an EL motor than to drop in the BA motor

First of you can get over 250Kw on stock internals from a Turboed EL motor on pump fuel, as long as its got a decent cooler and a properly setup computer. Hell 300kw isnt out of the question.

And no its certianly not hard to get 185kw out of a pre BA 4.0L Normally Aspirated either.

If my dyno number are anything to go by im making around ~175 at the engine with just bolt-ons.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 01:42   #9 (permalink)
Red-i

It'll sure be an interesting and unique car but for the hastles and costs involved you'd prob. better off buying a second hand XR6T. Likely to cost same or even less if you intend to build a properly engineered serious EA/6T.
Old 01-31-2003, 05:12   #10 (permalink)

Believe it or not someone has put an AU motor in an EA or it may have been an EB. One of the more frequent E series guys might be able to tell us who it was. He was at the ocean road meet and his car was white. It can be done but my only question is why would you go to the effort?
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech