Ford Forums banner

Bare bones trailer mounted inline 6

6K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Steve83 
#1 ·
I have what I believe to be a 1985 inline 6 that I bought from a guy scrapping a truck. He just cut everything,wires, exhaust,tranny lines,you name it. I'm mounting the engine on a trailer to run off a wood gasifier for a cogen setup. My question is, what is the very least I need to hook up to run the engine? Can I pull the vacuum plate manifold out from under the carb and just mount the carb flush and get rid of all the vacuum lines? Can I ditch all the wires except for the starter and brainbox? I'm one of those pre 1972 shade tree mechanics :beerbottland have rebuilt a few engines in my time, but need help with this "newer" stuff,
Thanks,
TJ

#2 ·
The 300 was originally designed for stationary equipment, so you're on the right track. The more stuff you KEEP on it, the better & more reliably it'll run. At a minimum, it needs a radiator & fan, an alternator & water pump, a fuel line, a vacuum advance to the distributor, an ignition module with a START/RUN/OFF switch, a battery/starter relay/starter. If you wire it exactly like an older engine, it'll be fine.

That's not a 'vacuum plate'; it's the EGR valve, which should be left working, but it requires a few vacuum lines & wires that might already be cut out. Without it, the engine MIGHT run hotter, produce smelly exhaust, and wear out a little faster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.