Base ignition timing - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2004, 12:54   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Sydney
Posts: 141
Base ignition timing

I did a search for setting the base ignition timing but unfortunately the new search engine is worse than useless, so where do we all set our base timing? is it on the mark as suggested by the Ford Factory Manual or do we advance it? if we do advance it, how much? keeping in mind degrees are not marked. I beleive JMM advance it a tad, has anyone had a look to see how far?
__________________
My tag line sucks, can I borrow yours?
edv8wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-18-2004, 14:10   #2 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....
 
Soxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sydney
Age: 44
Posts: 2,580
Re: Base ignition timing

Mines is 4deg BTDC.

Rick.
__________________
4L I6, naturally aspirated producing 173.5rwkw.
14.410 @ 96.49mph with street radials.
What's that?..... Did I hear you say TQE power?
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 02:59   #3 (permalink)
Hanging Around
 
9psi EB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Perth
Age: 34
Posts: 1,209
Re: Base ignition timing

EA-EL with Dizzy, factory settings are 10* BTDC.
__________________
Event's Photo Gallery: gallery.mechanicalforums.com
9psi EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 12:37   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Sydney
Posts: 141
Re: Base ignition timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9psi EB
EA-EL with Dizzy, factory settings are 10* BTDC.
And this would be the one and only mark on the crank pulley I assume.
Soxx, I assume you meant yours is advanced a further 4 deg for a total of 14 deg BTDC
__________________
My tag line sucks, can I borrow yours?
edv8wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 13:15   #5 (permalink)
Hanging Around
 
9psi EB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Perth
Age: 34
Posts: 1,209
Re: Base ignition timing

are you talking 6 cyl or V8?

Yes, its in the I6 forum, but your username suggests V8
__________________
Event's Photo Gallery: gallery.mechanicalforums.com
9psi EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 13:19   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Sydney
Posts: 141
Re: Base ignition timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9psi EB
are you talking 6 cyl or V8?

Yes, its in the I6 forum, but your username suggests V8
This question is about my I6 XH.
But I also have a V8 ED Monty Wagon
__________________
My tag line sucks, can I borrow yours?
edv8wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 14:01   #7 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....
 
Soxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sydney
Age: 44
Posts: 2,580
Re: Base ignition timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by edv8wagon
And this would be the one and only mark on the crank pulley I assume.
Soxx, I assume you meant yours is advanced a further 4 deg for a total of 14 deg BTDC
No, 4 deg BTDC.

Rick.
__________________
4L I6, naturally aspirated producing 173.5rwkw.
14.410 @ 96.49mph with street radials.
What's that?..... Did I hear you say TQE power?
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 17:34   #8 (permalink)
Hanging Around
 
9psi EB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Perth
Age: 34
Posts: 1,209
Re: Base ignition timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by edv8wagon
This question is about my I6 XH.
But I also have a V8 ED Monty Wagon
10* base timing, you could try around 12-14* but if you hear it bing, bring it back a few degrees.
__________________
Event's Photo Gallery: gallery.mechanicalforums.com
9psi EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 18:58   #9 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....
 
Soxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sydney
Age: 44
Posts: 2,580
Re: Base ignition timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by edv8wagon
And this would be the one and only mark on the crank pulley I assume.
Soxx, I assume you meant yours is advanced a further 4 deg for a total of 14 deg BTDC
Come to think of it, I'm not certain whether the mark on the balancer corresponds to TDC, or 10deg BTDC when the ECU is in timing mode.

So it's either 4deg or 14deg.

Rick.
__________________
4L I6, naturally aspirated producing 173.5rwkw.
14.410 @ 96.49mph with street radials.
What's that?..... Did I hear you say TQE power?
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DTC Codes fordel Ford Focus Forum 8 02-21-2009 23:22
Ignition Timing 4.0 EL scanhi Inline 6 Tech 14 10-14-2004 15:51
How do I set base timing? NC Steve Inline 6 Tech 2 05-13-2004 02:04
Setting base timing: 2.9L EFI GotDelta? Ford Ranger Forum 2 08-21-2003 15:51
Base Ignition timing!!!!!! Mallyboo Inline 6 Tech 14 03-03-2002 20:03

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:37.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.