Battens intake - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2004, 02:52   #1 (permalink)
Dev 5 Mutant

Battens intake

Hi all.

I'm looking at options for the air intake/better filter route for my trusty AU xr6.

My question is regarding the battens intake.

http://www.fordforums.com/attachment...20007&viewer=1

Is that a readily available factory part ?

Is it possible to rig one up to the xr6 cheaply or is it not worth the cost involved ? What are they worth ?

Am I better off going for an SS inductions air intact and better filter element ?

There seems to be a lot of debate about the air intakes and their effectiveness.

Oh and that pursuit ute that its in is pretty sweet.

Lachlan

** '99 Black manual XR6. Two rear bald tyres standard option **
loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2004, 06:24   #2 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

Re: Battens intake

The pic you have there is of Falkeen's Pursuit ute. The airbox is a standard part. It's straight off the BA GT.

I'm not sure where he got the metal adapter you see between the airbox and rubber tubing but you can PM him and ask. It was a fairly easy fit to the V8 but I'm not sure how you would go adapting it to a 6.

What you are better off doing is just buying the larger intake from the AU XR8. It's the one with the Tickford wings in the pic you have there. That's all I did with my AUII XR6 and it worked a treat.

It costs around $35 and will do the same as the SS inductions one for $250 less. Also buy a K&N airfliter ($120 - $130) or better still, the BMC filter ($160).

The BA GT airbox will cost you $285 if you can get it at trade price. Retail it's well over $300.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:11   #3 (permalink)
FPVWEPN

better still run stainless steel piping from throttle body right down past the left front tyre to the little vent in the front guard with a pod sticking on the end. thats what u call ram-flow
King Springs Superlows, K-mac camber-castor kit, colour coded interior, AU3 Xr8 Snorkle, K&N pod Filter, Deribbed Air Box, AutoLite Plugs, JMM Race Series Headers, High flow cat, 2.5 inch Redback exaust, 3" stainless steel intake, dev 5 cam, rollmaster timing gear, crow valve springs, stainless steel valves, dev 5 head, au headgasket, 4.11 LSD "174 rwks!!!"
FPVWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 21:04   #4 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Quote:
better still run stainless steel piping from throttle body right down past the left front tyre to the little vent in the front guard with a pod sticking on the end. thats what u call ram-flow
Technically it wont have a ram flow effect till u hit something like 300km/h

Only problem with that is the pod will get wet n soggy.imo ur better off running a pipe from the airbox thing to under the bumber or whatever. And having a new pipe made up to run from box to tb.
should stop problems with water
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 21:06   #5 (permalink)
Village Idiot

I was going to use the BA XR8 pod and sime cunstom 3" piping in my EF aswell
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 22:05   #6 (permalink)
Black 200kw wheel barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie XR6
The pic you have there is of Falkeen's Pursuit ute. The airbox is a standard part. It's straight off the BA GT.

I'm not sure where he got the metal adapter you see between the airbox and rubber tubing but you can PM him and ask.
by the metal adapter are you refering to the MAF??

it would be much easier to fit this to a 6 as it doesnt have the MAF, what you would need is the BA 6 intake tube (about $90) and then the GT pod and they would fit straight up

but if i were you i would probably just do the air filter and xr8 snorkel on your 6
Old 05-03-2004, 22:30   #7 (permalink)
New Car Kid

The best bang for your bucks intake mod for these air boxes is to buy the 200/220kw intake snorkel, as described by "jamie xr6" (or you can go mega cheap by using the factory snorkel and then cut a hole in the front of the lower air box and run some large diameter {around 76-82 mm O.D.} wire reinforced - not plastic - air conditioning ducting {e.g. out of a truck cab}. If you remove 1 x screw at the top of the plastic flap next to the passenger side high beam light and fold the flap down out of the way , the ducting will squeeze through and sit very neatly behind the split in the grille). THEN, with the upper air intake box, get a coarse die grinder burr (one used for aluminium porting is perfect) and remove all the plastic ribbing out of the air cleaner lid, this helps flow A LOT at the top end. My AUI XR8 - bought new in 98 and was modded in 99 with a crane 2020 cam, 1.7:1 rockers, (lots of lift I know!) crane conical single valve springs, 1/2" GT40 spacer, K & N Panel filter and 2 1/2" twin sys. It went from 198 rwhp, 262 rwlbft on Genies dynojet to 251 rwhp, 308 rwlbft. After doing the before mentioned air box mods, the dyno graph stayed exactly the same until 4500rpm, at which point the rwhp kept going to a peak of 268 rwhp, thats 17 hp increase! I told other people about it who claimed that the got the same sort of increases on similarly modded engines by only doing the upper mods, but i believe they should go H in H. Hope thats been helpful!!!
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 03:01   #8 (permalink)
Dev 5 Mutant

Thanks guys.

I chased up one link -read below -

http://www.totalrpm.com/tech_display...p?topic_id=497

but the question that was raised is that whether the MAP/MAF sensor(whichever one the xr6 has) might be thrown off coz it works off a certain amount of air travelling a certain distance before the sensor.

Basically if I did this modification with the wrong airflow sensor that I could do worse off. Is this so ?
Cam install by Crescent Motorsport, Liverpool

Dyno

Timeslip
loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 03:09   #9 (permalink)
Black 200kw wheel barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
Thanks guys.

I chased up one link -read below -

http://www.totalrpm.com/tech_display...p?topic_id=497

but the question that was raised is that whether the MAP/MAF sensor(whichever one the xr6 has) might be thrown off coz it works off a certain amount of air travelling a certain distance before the sensor.

Basically if I did this modification with the wrong airflow sensor that I could do worse off. Is this so ?
mate on your AU XR6 theres no MAF to worry about
Old 05-04-2004, 05:45   #10 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalKeen
mate on your AU XR6 theres no MAF to worry about
Exactly,

I didn't realise that you had moved the MAF. As I haven't caught up to you since I got you the airbox, I could only go off the pics. I thought that's what it was but couldn't understand why you had it there. I was thinking that you may have just used an outer casing for an adapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech