Best corrosion inhabitor - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2004, 03:28   #1 (permalink)
If Only I Had Lexus Power

Best corrosion inhabitor

Hi guys,

Well i think it that time again to change my coolant, it was last done by ford service 1 year or 2 ago when the head was done

So should i use the proper ford stuff.. i hear there may be diffrent colours, which is the best , or a while back i heard of a g50 concentrate that was ridicuosly expensive and came in 5l concentrated bottles

of course i wil run demineralised water with the inhabitor and i have no need for a antifreeze in adelaide

Thanks - lookin forward to ur suggestions

Ash
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 ---- W 16 Configuration, Quad Turbo 1001 HP, 1250Nm, 4 Wheel Drive
redGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2004, 04:02   #2 (permalink)
In-line 6, DOHC, 24V

Re: Best corrosion inhabitor

I have been to several seminars on coolants & inhibitors, and I still do not know which is the best.

Some things I do know; Glycol is not only for cold climates, it also raises the boiling point. Temperatures in the combustion chamber are high enough to cause boiling at the walls of cylinders & exhaust ports, this boiling causes pitting of the metal, a percentage of glycol in system stops this.
I don't know what Ford's latest coolants are like, but their previous inhibitors where useless.

Castrol's Glycol based coolant is used by most oil companies (rebadged) & seems to be quite good.
Tectaloy are an Adelaide based company & seem to have a good record & a large range of products. http://www.tectaloy.com/

Depending on how you use the vehicle; if you drive economically a glycol based concentrate will be fine, the type that one litre concentrate makes fifteen litres of coolant.
If you drive hard or own a turbo use a glycol based coolant to the ratio of 33% - 50%.
It is dificult to competely drain all the coolant from Ford blocks, if you can not drain 90% of the coolant maybe use a Glycol based coolant like Tectaloy Long Life Glycol http://www.tectaloy.com/products.htm which you mix approx 50/50, eg cooling system holds 15L use 7.5L glycol coolant & 7.5L water.

That's my 2 cents worth.
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 01:56   #3 (permalink)

Ha i new i took a pic of this stuff when i was researchinf it a little last time --- Anyone using it

Valvoline G0-5 Concentrate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image207.jpg (25.0 KB, 26 views)
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 ---- W 16 Configuration, Quad Turbo 1001 HP, 1250Nm, 4 Wheel Drive
Old 10-25-2004, 02:44   #4 (permalink)
what u lookin at

a very well experienced engine builder i know only uses toyota long life and i think its a red colour?
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 06:21   #5 (permalink)

Penrite produce a red coolant as well - I once had a road service guy to "change that old dirty coolant for some new stuff" lol, it had only been in there for 3 days
Old 11-01-2004, 02:38   #6 (permalink)
Andy the Ambo

Mine needs changing its some greeny/redish dirty water colour through the overflow bottle cant even see what condition it is. Ford have that $90 coolant service i prob go that.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:41   #7 (permalink)

ive worked and tested coolants for about the last 10 years. Castrol and tectaloy (according to the tests) compare well with toilet cleaners. If you want to kill it use them.

I have used mostly genuine coolants. They are reasonably priced and are also warrantied by the car manufacturer.

As for glycol. alot of modern cars need to run a certain percentage of glycol ( 6 - 50%) the new engines run hotter and hence can easily boild normal coolant even on a winters day. There is nothing wrong with the motor just designs have changed.

Last time i bought genuine coolant from mitsubushi 5 lt cost $24.
bwragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech