Big Problem!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2006, 00:53   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Big Problem!!!

ok so i took my truck up north about a 2 hour drive and everything was ok at least i think... when i left to come home the temp went from 190 to about 215 soo i was ready to pull over before i blew somthing then i turned teh heat on high and it went down to about 195 so i got home fine!!! today i went to drain my coolent and put new in and i twisted the plug out and nothing came out???? so i took the radiator cap off and it was full to the top... so i ended u taking my radiator completly out and flushing it out...i ran a hose thou it and a hole bunch of brown sandy water came out...liek a bright brown rusty color....so my ? is this truck was bought from a farm and it sat for a while before i bought it... ive already changed the coolent in it once sence ive had it... could it be becasue the truck sat and there was build up in the moter that broke free and seteled in teh radiator??? i got it all put bck to geather today and new fluid in there and it runs at 185... 5 below what it normaly runs at soo im happu with what i did today but what caused this??? thanks. bret
Bigred4x4I6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2006, 05:34   #2 (permalink)

Re: Big Problem!!!

as you said mate, it prolly just shock up all the crap in the cooling system. Id buy some el cheapo radiator flusher and run it through or just change the water once every 1/2 tank till it comes good or take it to a radiator shop and have them do a flush.

Its also worth going through your cooling hoses, removing and blowing them out with a tap. I had some really yuck stuff in my skinny hoses comming off the heater pipe (baby poo colour and consistency).

Mods: Pacemaker extractors, lukey cat back system. DBA Slotted rotors front & back.
Loud-EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 12:01   #3 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: Big Problem!!!

hey man thanks for the info!! thats what i did i just bought some cheap coolent and ill just change it pretty soon...thanks
Old 11-25-2006, 21:22   #4 (permalink)

sounds like the radiator had engine casting sand in it!
thats the cause of falcon e-series blowing head gaskets!!!
the sand builds up in the radiator tanks so that less and less and less
of the radiotor is useable!
notty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:15   #5 (permalink)

umm wow.... my engine still runs fine and it uses no oil.... idk how do i go about fixing this???
Old 11-26-2006, 10:57   #6 (permalink)

frown Re: Big Problem!!!

also would this be a good chance to get a 5.0 put in??? my dad has a 1993 ford f150 with the 5.0 in it and it went out about 2 years ago...he had a local shop put a new 5.0 in from jasper engines (reman) so my ? is would i be able to go from a 4.9 liter to the 5.0??? i have a 5 speed manual in it..thanks
Old 11-27-2006, 00:48   #7 (permalink)

im assuming you are talking bout at F truck as your in the US
i have no idea about bout them sorry
but i do know about the radiator and if possible you can take the tanks off the radiator and get all the crap out that way
cheers
Old 11-28-2006, 22:54   #8 (permalink)

How did you go bigred.

I doubt its the headgasket unless ure noticing loss of water/ hoses blowing or your oil has gone milky. The sandy stuff will more than likely be corrosion flakes from the water galleries due to the engine sitting for so long (prolly had some air in the system). Honestly notty you give the worst advice Ive seen on these forums.

Also the common cause of E-series blowing their heads is due to having a cast iron block and an alloy head. Metals swell @ diff speeds and causes extra wear on the headgasket.

Regarding engine upgrade being another ford engine you should have to much trouble. Belhousing and wiring harness will be the fun part.

I myself would run the current engine into the ground 1st :)

Mods: Pacemaker extractors, lukey cat back system. DBA Slotted rotors front & back.
Loud-EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 23:45   #9 (permalink)

i didnt say he had a blown head gasket i said that is a common cause of the head gasket blowing it is a known fact that fords in Aus espiacally the I6 had alot of issues with block sand build up in the radiators!
ask your local radiator place and they will tell you the same it will take them no longer than 30seconds to tell you weather you radiator is blocked on an E-series that that has the plastic tank type radiator!
Old 12-08-2006, 17:48   #10 (permalink)

Smile Re: Big Problem!!!

hey guys yeah i got everything done on the truck thanks for all the help...i check everything over my head gaskit is alright... i just think i ws because it sat awhile before i bought it.. the only problem is now i noticed i have anti frezz leaking pretty bad.. i guess the truck got a luttle to hot witch im not to hapy about... it looks liek the plastic on teh side of teh raditor cracked...so tom im just going to hit up the junk yard and look for a good one but any ways thanks for all the help! check out the truck at this site... when u the discription u will beable to see just how much money i got stuck in this moter... right now im looking at intakes and a new exaust system... ive been reading on the i6 exaust and if im not care full it will sound like a rice burner so if any you guy no a good sounds system let me know... so far i found ths guy thaat cut the cats off and went from headers down into a flowmaster... he used a 2.5 inch pipe with a 3 inch tip and it dint sound bad i have the link fo it... here they are truck: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2427833 Exaust link ExhaustSoundClips.com ..::UP load YOURS!::.. - Hear It Before You Buy It!

click download at the bottem of the page to listen to it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech