bolt on worries - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2003, 06:41   #1 (permalink)

bolt on worries

gday all just hoping to clarify a few things about turboing a 4L eb
now for this budget throw togeather im thinking computer (ems) , t03 turbo with internal wastegate (cuttin costs and restricting boost on stock motor) all my custom pipework (manifold, intercooler piping, dump) , intercooler, additional fuel pump and surge tank.

now what hope to achieve is a mild fun toy nothing tuff as rebuilding motor is not in budget, run stock motor with bolt ons and low boost

can anyone tell me any complications that may arise? would love to speak to someone who has tried this

thanks for any help
SIR-250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2003, 06:56   #2 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

Re: bolt on worries

from a quick read of what you are planning it all looks good - prob 10psi is all you would go on a standard motor, and tune it carefully.

what diff and box is in it? i think 9psi eb sells 'shift kits' for the autos, that might be a good investment (i think its less than $100) and later on down the track a LSD definatly - they are light years ahead of single spiners.

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 07:08   #3 (permalink)

the box and diff are both stock NOW, the box is in good nick and will be gettin a shift kit installed and the diff, well its either a new lsd or rebuild with minispool and low gearing
the car is strictly for fun on the street haha

how do i go about lowering compression? or does the process of bolting the turbo and new pipework on do this by altering flow etc
Old 09-07-2003, 21:03   #4 (permalink)

To lower compression without a rebuild you need t get a thicker head gasket. I dont think these are too hard to come by. To get it done when building a motor, you use dished pistons.
82falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 22:53   #5 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Sir-250,
just to add to the above, you will need bigger injectors - possibly 24#'s and upgraded ignition such as crane Hi-6 or MSD.
I had no issues running a supercharger on a factory 160,000 kms motor for around 18 monthsm until i rebuilt it, so you shouldnt have any problems.
You can keep std compression, since you have a cooler etc, just dont go overboard with timing, and keep a good listen oit for detonation during the tuning stage.

Another worthwhile upgrade is the EL cam in the EB motor - the EL cam is very similar to the EBXR grind, and makes a nice difference > 3500 rpm.

I do have shift modules for the 4speed auto's,
also elect fan controllers. If you havent already done so, you may want to fit a set of EL fans and remove the mechanical one.

Also, if you run a second pump, and rising rate regulator, you may be able to get away with running the standard ecu for a while, or even an EL ecu which has a knock sensor (my current setup). It really depends on your budget, and how much you want out of it - got any base figures in mind?
Old 09-07-2003, 23:52   #6 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

Mini spool on the street? I dont think so mate....
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 00:45   #7 (permalink)

im looking at spending about 3K
mostly second hand parts and minimal labour costs hopefully get something togeather.
i am keen to run a aftermarket comp as i will need one at some point in time down the track anyway, and as far as injectors go ya dont reckon miltipoint injection would get by? i was under the assumption that if i was just running low boost and had sufficiant pumps etc it'd go ok.
by all means i dont doubt they may need replacing, but what is the full potential of whats already in there?
Old 09-08-2003, 01:40   #8 (permalink)
Hanging Around

with the standard 19# injectors, you will be battling to get anywhere near 240HP out of them.
24# injectors are good for around 300HP also depending also on what pressure you are putting through them.
Im running mine at 65psi at full boost, and 40psi at idle.
An EB ecu wont run 24's too well as it is calibrated for 19's, it will run very rich, but an EL ecu will run them fine, as it is calibrated for 21# injectors, and can trim down enough to keep the right A/FR

Edit: check this site for more info on injectors http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0102&P=1

Last edited by 9psi EB; 09-08-2003 at 01:46.
9psi EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 01:44   #9 (permalink)

thanks for the info
will look at some prices and let u know how i go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech