Broken Clutch Pedal Box - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2005, 00:51   #1 (permalink)
If Only I Had Lexus Power

Broken Clutch Pedal Box

Hi, well the title says it all does anyone have any ideas on who makes a stronger than original box as this one has only lasted 3 months with the new clutch in, i remember hearing something like there was a strengthaning kit avail from ford

What a pain in the arse job it is

Thanks guys

Ash
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 ---- W 16 Configuration, Quad Turbo 1001 HP, 1250Nm, 4 Wheel Drive
redGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2005, 02:43   #2 (permalink)
mmm..Vee 8

Re: Broken Clutch Pedal Box

i think the strengthening kit was for the firewall...as its common for it to tear where the clutch cable goes through...but last i heard these are discontinued.

AFAIK it was a large metal plate that was welded behind the firewall...but i havent heard of any pedal box strenghtening kits...

somebody else may be able to shed some more light??

Extreme

5/1994 ED Futura Classic 5.0 in Polyneisan Green - One of the last ever built
Extreme_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 03:24   #3 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: Broken Clutch Pedal Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by redGhia
Hi, well the title says it all does anyone have any ideas on who makes a stronger than original box as this one has only lasted 3 months with the new clutch in, i remember hearing something like there was a strengthaning kit avail from ford

What a pain in the arse job it is

Thanks guys

Ash
you just weld up the pedal box itself where the clutch pin goes through the pedal box which has a square plate spot welded on need to weld around the plate works a treat
badxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 22:49   #4 (permalink)

It's a pretty crap design, isn't it - a lot of load on a very stumpy shaft. Mine cracked around the base, making the clutch pedal work in a very peculiar arc, and on both my old XF and ED. My EL so far is OK. Besides resetting the shaft and welding it, I strengthened the area with a gusset I fabricated and welded in also. It never moved again. Can't remember the shape of the gusset, but you'll work it out when the pedal box is in front of you.
fordboy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 19:47   #5 (permalink)
Mcccli

I just had mine rewelded but turned out one of the reasons it busted was cus the clutch cable seized up (cus somebody put it through the extractors so it melted the plastic around the metal cable as well as the rubber); so prolly a good idea to either replace the cable or at the very least take it out and relubricate it.
mcccy005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 23:39   #6 (permalink)
If Only I Had Lexus Power

Thanks guys, I have it all fixed now and is amazing how bad it was before but hadnt noticed till it wouldnt change gear or set on cruise control

Ended up getting it welded at an engineering place although i could do it myself its not a job i want to do twice lol

Engineers were amazed at how bad the design and production line welding was -

I put a new clutch cable in when i did the clutch 3 monts ago , thanks though it was a good point
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 ---- W 16 Configuration, Quad Turbo 1001 HP, 1250Nm, 4 Wheel Drive
redGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech