c4 auto behind 3.9L EA motor. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2003, 01:23   #1 (permalink)

c4 auto behind 3.9L EA motor.

Have any of you heard of a kit to house a c4 auto (auto from a ford v8) behind the EA 3.9L 6?

The b/w is a good auto, but when there is some serious power coming from a motor, the c4/c10 is a much better auto, and a lot cheaper to work on and get converters for.

rod hadfield is away at the moment, so the rod shop isnt answering any questions.

thanks.
unknown user is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2003, 04:55   #2 (permalink)
No longer around

i would have said hadfield as a first up but there are plenty of other places that arent quite as well known that do housings.
do a search for automatic transmisions and then ask them if they can get/have already got conversions

i kno of a couple of mates that run T400 and powerglide autos behind tough crossflow sixes and they went through an auto trans place for there conversions so i would presume that it wouldnt be hard to get a kit for the C series ford autos

btw the conversion price could far outweigh the cost of a 5 speed conversion what is the reason for staying auto??
just wondering

anyways good luck mate
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 05:22   #3 (permalink)

no, its not a cost thing. the car will be a daily driver with about 220+ rwkw of power, so reliability and drivability is the major issue.

I dont see a t5 lasting with that power, and a clutch to cope with it would be hell to drive with in traffic.

the c4 auto doesnt seem to look much different than the b/w autos, so im not sure where the great expense of the conversion would be. All that would be needed would be a bellhousing and maybe a tailshaft? i had a custom single piece 3" tailshaft made up for 250 dollars for my last car.

there is a car that was modified (an EL) with a turbo 6 and it runs a c4 auto with highstall and manual valve body. The car was done by PET, so i know there is a conversion kit out there, just gotta find out who makes it and how much it is!
Old 05-19-2003, 05:34   #4 (permalink)
No longer around

yeah you'd need to have a linkage kit made up so the standard shifter works as the bw and the c series have the selector on the oposite sides fo the box also i was factoring in a reco of the auto as well - which it would definatley need to cope with that kinda power
a stock 6 cyl C series box wouldnt cut it and a V8 one would need to be rebuilt anyway for the 6 cyl convert.

also a rear mount for the box will need to be constrcted to engineers specs and will need a certificate. please oh please dont use a towbar welded to the chassis (ive seen it on mustangs etc)
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 05:43   #5 (permalink)

i like to be dodgy and cheap... LOL

yeah, the box will be going in for a freshen up as well as getting a shift kit and strengthening. i dont want to have to take the box out again, so it will need to be built to handle 250rwkw at least.

the rebuild will be at least 1000 probably, as a stock one costs about 500 to rebuild.

I think ill ring PET tomorrow and find out where they had their EL converted. Id like to do some of it myself, but its always best to get it done right first time :)
Old 05-19-2003, 07:55   #6 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally posted by unknown user
I dont see a t5 lasting with that power, and a clutch to cope with it would be hell to drive with in traffic.
Give it too me! :s5
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech