Ford Forums banner

is CAI rice?

3K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  T_Terror 
#1 ·
I'm getting my cat back exhaust done very soon, and with my very basic understanding of engines, I know intake is also important.

So I'm contemplating doing CAI at the same time as the exhaust, so I've searched and been reading all day. And it just seems from almost everyones reply that it's basically going to make zero difference at all? Is this true?

I don't expect it to gain any rwkw, but it would be nice if it revved alot freer or made some difference.

So should I bother with any intake mods?

#3 ·
Mate you cannot be serious with a thread like this!

:wgaf: what anyone else says!

CAI's ARE worth doing if they're done properly. Granted that unless your engine is already worked you may not find much difference, but anything that is a positive to your car is worth doing IMO, and it definately is.

#4 ·
Fitting a larger intake snorkel will most likely just give you a better throttle response. Top end may benefit slightly but its the feel of how the engine revs which will most appeal.

#5 ·
Aslong as its done properly, it has its benefits.
experiment :)

#6 ·
it stands for cold air induction, cold air is better than warm air. Bigger snorkles etc mighn't give you the optimium solution, you mighn't nessisarily want to draw in anymore air, but the same volume.. Try and make the temperature of the your new CAI (inlet charge) as low as possible...

As John said, do it properly and think about drawing the air from outside the engine bay

#9 ·
Just dont cut a hole through the bonnet with tinsnips and have a pod filter sticking out like this corrola i saw last week in the woolies carpark, i was so tempted to rip it off and pour my whole 660cc bottle of coke i was drinking down it

#10 ·
Don't listen to these guys telling you "colder is better" because it simply isn't true. The optimum temperature for air entering the instake port is 40'C. Anything higher and your air charge will not be dense enough, if the temp is too low the fuel will fail to properly atomise in the combustion chamber and will not burn efficiently. The simple fact is, expensive cold air induction kits on stock or near-stock engines are a waste of money. I recommend replacing your air filter with a high flow panel (NOT pod) filter and leaving it at that. If that isn't enough for you, the next step is to replace the snorkel with a larger (XG) unit. Beyond that, don't touch it. The factory set up is fine unless you are looking for big power.

#11 ·
very important mod for gaining power, a CAI could never be rice..

#12 ·
I would suggest a B&C high flow filter for the falcon they're supposedly the best u can get.. Better than the K&N.. and no its not rice if it is done properly, speak to people who know what is best and u should notice a difference (even if it is small)

#14 ·
Don't listen to these guys telling you "colder is better" because it simply isn't true. The optimum temperature for air entering the instake port is 40'C. Anything higher and your air charge will not be dense enough, if the temp is too low the fuel will fail to properly atomise in the combustion chamber and will not burn efficiently. The simple fact is, expensive cold air induction kits on stock or near-stock engines are a waste of money. I recommend replacing your air filter with a high flow panel (NOT pod) filter and leaving it at that. If that isn't enough for you, the next step is to replace the snorkel with a larger (XG) unit. Beyond that, don't touch it. The factory set up is fine unless you are looking for big power
i think you will find that by the time the air gets to the intake valve, even if its got the best CAI in the world, it will be hot enough to burn the fuel well.

i have seen air intake temps on V6 commodores upwards of 70degrees in traffic, and even at a steady 60km/h. ford intakes achieve the same heating of the air, dont worry about that. as others have said before, getting the coldest air you can (which means sourcing it from outside the engine bay) WILL make a difference to power.

cold air is denser, denser air has more oxygen in it, more oxygen equals more power, its as simple as that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.