Cam or Extractors? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2004, 16:51   #1 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Fan

Cam or Extractors?

Hi all,

I have a question, currently my EF Fairmont just has 2.5" cat back single muffler exhaust, tickford snorkel and pod filter in factory air box. My next upgrade im lookin to spend in the vicinity of $300, and wondering what I should do next out of cam or extractors. From what I can gather, a cam will give best results when combined with extractors, but on a one or the other basis, am un decided. If I fit the cam first (next step), would I recieve better gains than if i just fit extractors? Eventually I hope to get extractors, however i just want to know what would be best next. The car has 185,000kms on it, and I was wondering how much a new set of lifters would be, and and how worth while it would be as the get pretty noisy at start up now, and sometimes during running.

Dan (Walky), didn't you do cam first in your car, and extractors are coming later? how did you find the difference?

Cheers

'69 XW Fairmont GS (GT Replica), Reef Green 351c 2V (not for long ), Top Loader, 9" with 3.55's,
RedEF6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2004, 17:14   #2 (permalink)

Re: Cam or Extractors?

You'd be lucky to find extractors for $300 and reguarding the lifters if you have a bursons in your area they are $18 a lifter which is way cheaper than ford prices, but you may only need the rubber seals. If it was my car I'd go the extractors first just to finish that section of the car off, I imagine a cam would get better performance, however you also need an adjustable cam gear to potimise the cam approx. $135. Plus shims if it's a regrind, and someone to dial it in (assuming you don't have a dial indicater). Again, in your position I would go the extractors.
xfspacsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 17:20   #3 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

i have gone a cam without extractors, however extractors are on the list. The cam definatly bulked out the midrange and top end, but i can still feel a restriction somewhere. Everyone allways says i need extractors to let the cam breath, alas they are comming soon.

Ill take it as a complement i think.............
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 18:12   #4 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Fan

I realise the best performance would come from cam and extractors, that is why i'm thinking of what to do first; as I intend to do both over the next year.

XFspacsix:
I realise extractors for $300 is a tight squeze, but I know someone who can get me pacey's direct from the factory at a good price. Just hope $300 is enough to get them and have them fitted. Has anyone paid an exhaust shop just for fitting? How much was it?

Walkinshaw:
Like you dan, i would do extractors later, I was just thinkin if I do cam first, it would give the best results in the intermediate time. do you think its worked out that way for you?

'69 XW Fairmont GS (GT Replica), Reef Green 351c 2V (not for long ), Top Loader, 9" with 3.55's,
Old 10-21-2004, 18:15   #5 (permalink)

where do u stop, if u add a cam u need better intake and exhaust, if u add exhaust ur improving on what u got. Best of doing it all in 1 hit to feel the benifit. start with extractors as u dont need to replace any gaskets and pull lifters ect twice, as ur going to redo it all again next year
Old 10-21-2004, 18:25   #6 (permalink)

REDEF6,
If the extractors can bolt straight to the cat without any hassles just fit them yourself, you'll only need an allen key and 2 spanners (If EF is same as EL) and use your original gasket.
Old 10-21-2004, 19:21   #7 (permalink)
Formerly: SmokeEA

Extractors, you get awesome benefits of both but, to get maxmum from cam, you need extractors. But, if your going both in the lobg run, i assume it probably really doesnt matter, except that extractors are easier to install.
Old 10-21-2004, 19:42   #8 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Fan

To install extractors yourself, you need to be able to cut cat of old downpipe and weld on flanges, which I dont have the equipment let alone experience to do. I have also read on the the Pacey's website that for EF's you have to drop steering or something to fit them. sounds like a head F@#k to me. but that being said, there is good arguments for each... hrmm more opinions?

Old 10-21-2004, 19:44   #9 (permalink)
wants a manual!

yeah i paid an exhaust shop to fit my extractors cost me about $100. id recomend letting them put it in as most likely you will need mods done to the cat to get it to line up with the rest of the exhaust system.
John_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 19:54   #10 (permalink)

In that case I wouldn't put em on yourself. If you can't really afford to go either comfortably don't cut corners to do it, your best bet is to wait and do it right the first time, rather than spend big bux swapping and changing as your thirst for killowatts increases. (I also think I should take my own advice.) Ring around and add up the prices for everything you need and if you have to go on the cheap to get it done don't. Once you know the cost involved it's easier to set goals and reach targets.

and no Im not a marketing manager or a parent lol).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech