Cam & Ignition Timing - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2003, 23:38   #1 (permalink)
EB wagon

Cam & Ignition Timing

Hey guys, i need help...

Just changed a head gasket and was wondering if when the marks on the crank and cam sproket line up, should the rotor on the dizzy line up with the start mark on the dizzy?? Its sitting about 10deg before the start mark. Car is 3.9L duel point injection

Ta

Brent
EB1 3.9L MPI Falcon Wagon with converted T5 / Pacemaker & 2.5" Redback sports exhaust / 2" lowered blocks at the rear, Kings lows up front / ED Tickford Head and Cam / K&N panel filter with XH intake Snorkel / Full EL Fairmont interior with woodgrain

89 EA1 3.9L TBI Falcon Sedan with 3 speed auto / currently being upgraded...
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2003, 02:23   #2 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

The dizzy is not essential at this point.

The way I usually do it is to get the motor together, THEN put the dizzy in - as long as the motor is at TDC on the firing stroke for no.1 cylinder, whichever lead the rotor points to is for no.1 plug lead. It's just a matter of reinserting the dizzy with the rotor set up in such a way as allows the plug leads to stretch over the motor.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 04:47   #3 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Yes 10 degrees before cyl 1 is about right.

I don't know if I am reading your post right, mongrelEB, but if you are saying that you can just set the engine up on TDC for cylinder 1 and drop the dizzy in any way you want, and whatever cylinder the rotor is pointing at, make that number one. That used to be fine on older engines, but the ford eec needs the leads to be in the correct place.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 05:05   #4 (permalink)
EB wagon

Thanks boys..

Brent
EB1 3.9L MPI Falcon Wagon with converted T5 / Pacemaker & 2.5" Redback sports exhaust / 2" lowered blocks at the rear, Kings lows up front / ED Tickford Head and Cam / K&N panel filter with XH intake Snorkel / Full EL Fairmont interior with woodgrain

89 EA1 3.9L TBI Falcon Sedan with 3 speed auto / currently being upgraded...
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 06:45   #5 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

Quote:
Originally posted by EDXR8
Yes 10 degrees before cyl 1 is about right.

I don't know if I am reading your post right, mongrelEB, but if you are saying that you can just set the engine up on TDC for cylinder 1 and drop the dizzy in any way you want, and whatever cylinder the rotor is pointing at, make that number one. That used to be fine on older engines, but the ford eec needs the leads to be in the correct place.
that way will work, but it's not the best way at all to do it. All it does is create anger in the person that gets caught out by it next time.

Another things, with those early ones, they had the black plastic cover that goes on before the rotor. That had the start and finish marks on it to get it lined up correctly...
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech