Cam question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2004, 18:33   #1 (permalink)

Cam question

HI guys,

Just after some advice re cam mods. Ive got an ED futura that is just how i want it, but needs more grunt. Im thinking of putting a nice lumpy cam in it. i couldnt give a monkey's uncle about idle quality or 'exessive' fuel consumption, i just want something that will fly above say 3500. Now do i need to buy a new cam or can i get mine re-ground? With a new cam will i need to replace anything else? ANy help would be appriciated.

Cheers
Keldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2004, 18:47   #2 (permalink)

Re: Cam question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldo
HI guys,

Just after some advice re cam mods. Ive got an ED futura that is just how i want it, but needs more grunt. Im thinking of putting a nice lumpy cam in it. i couldnt give a monkey's uncle about idle quality or 'exessive' fuel consumption, i just want something that will fly above say 3500. Now do i need to buy a new cam or can i get mine re-ground? With a new cam will i need to replace anything else? ANy help would be appriciated.

Cheers
Keldo is your ED auto? With an Auto u will need to care about idle quality whether you like to or not!

What other engine mods have u done so far? What other mds are u considering?
Old 10-10-2004, 18:57   #3 (permalink)
{';'}

You can get your's reground. But if you go for something with big lift you will need valve springs and shims to suit as far as I know. There are a trillion threads on this already...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 19:14   #4 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

Just buy a DEV 5 head and cam package. Last time I heard it was 2500ish?? That'll give you a nice lumpy sound accompanied with plenty of grunt. I got a qoute from a head joint of 1000 for a full heavy port which also included new springs, valves, valve stems and all the other goodies. Then add another 500 for a big cam and your laughing. Just need to remember where i left that 1500 lol
Old 10-10-2004, 19:57   #5 (permalink)

You can have your cam reground, which will cost from $120(wade) and will require shims

Regrind cam from JMM will cost $490 and will require shims

New billet cam from wade or crow will cost $390

For shims, you can use washers (kind of dodge, but cheap) or add some extra ford spacers (upto $40 for a set).

Stock springs are rated to 480 thou lift, but a lot of people are running more.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 00:55   #6 (permalink)

Thanks heaps, Ive only just joined this forum so its all very new to me. My car is still in slushbox mode at the moment but over summer semester break it will be copping 5speed treatment. Would i be able to run the lumpy cam through an auto for a month or two or is that just impossible? Its getting an LSD on Sat as well so that should be good.
THanks again
Keldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 01:02   #7 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

Get the LSD first, then the 5 speed. Then go for the big cam, make sure you get an exhaust to match and a decent intake setup. Then you'll be laughin :)
Old 10-11-2004, 01:25   #8 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

getting the auto to idle smoothly with a cam is a big problem. The dev cams have got arround this by keeping to open lobe centers (arround 112-114 deg).

For a temporary auto fix grab a wade 1004@114lsa to tide you over before you look at manual+ big cam/springs.

Ill take it as a complement i think.............
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech