Cam Timing - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2002, 01:06   #1 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

Cam Timing

I have a sneaking suspicion that my cam timing is not correct, I have been checking fuel consumption, and am getting something like 15~17 L/100K on Gas and not much better on fuel.

Spark plugs new, Leads new, Dizzy Cap new, rotor new, Oil Shell Ultra Helix about 2,000K ago, Air Filter new,

Cooling system has just been completely done, new radiator, new water pump, new heater hoses...

I have Pacemaker Extractor , through to newish (30,000K) cat convertor and 2 1/2 Stainless Exhaust.

Despite all this the car seems sluggish, and seems to be using an excessive amount of fuel. That leaves only two things, Base ignition timing or cam timing. Could also mean the engine is buggered (That makes three things).

Anybody know how easy it is to check the cam timing ??, The base ignition timing doesn't look too difficult, I Have a good timing light....

The reason I suspect cam timing is the head has been lifted twice to have the head gasket replaced, and I'm not to confident in either of the places that did the job.
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2002, 01:14   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Crank on top dead centre on compression stroke[put finger in plug when pushes air out thats compression stroke]
Take rocker cover off the lines or dots should line up..On the front sprocket...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 01:19   #3 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

Another thought. O2 sensor could be playing up???, It is a lot further from the head than the std manifold, so maybe the engine doesn't lean out as much, due to the extra time the feul gets to burn in the extractors prior to getting to sensor??

Thanks EBXR8240, will look at on weekend. Whats the best way to rotate the engine, take all plugs out and hand crank the motor??
Old 03-04-2002, 01:22   #4 (permalink)

It is easy to check your cam timing but I don't think it is your problem, a grease monkey could not get it wrong. Take your rocker cover off, rotate the engine so that it is TDC. On the cam gear you will see a mark, it should be around 3mm above the head on the horizontal. The only way the cam could be put on incorrectly is if the chain was allowed to move on the cam. The cam gear will only fit on the cam in one spot.

You may need to check the O2 sensor. This also has the symptoms of fuel consumption and lack of power. To do this check at the output wire, a flucuating reading of between 0.2 - 0.6V should be seen.

Cheers
blown EF 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech