cam troubles - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2003, 16:23   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

cam troubles

Gday all,

after speaking with crow i have recntly purchased a stage 2 part 222825(cam for ea-ed) for my xh ute however while trying to get it in on sunday it was found that the 1998 xh i have runs a ef head and hence the lobes on the cam are too wide for the rockers. if i got an ef cam from crow part 222519 would it run ok since the engine has a EEC IV and an ed style intake manifold. the advice from crow was that i would need part 222825 which i now know is wrong. does anyone have any advice as too what cam may work???
dinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2003, 17:46   #2 (permalink)
Powered by HAD

All XH's actually have EECV but unfortunately retain the ED inlet manifold and airbox (bar XR6's). That said, I think if you ask crow about the EF cam they have, it would have been developed with the broad band manifold(BBM) and wont work 100% with the ED intake.

I dont know what cams exist that would work with EF head and ED intake and its for this reason I'm going the BBM setup. After all the EECV in the XH should make it easier to convert (Wiring diagram for the XH engine shows it has the BBM sensor plug).

I reckon you should try the EF crow cam, you never know it may work really good.
Old 03-16-2003, 17:56   #3 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

that seems very strange as apparently the rockers from ea through to EL are interchangeable. Actually there are a few guys on here that are running the EF/L style rocker assemblies in their EA's due to the fact that theyre a better design

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 18:26   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

i have seen some ed rockers and they are noticeably wider than the ef ones and would fit the cam that i bought. when compared side by side my stock cam is about 2-3mm thinner in each lobe than the crow222825
dinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 00:27   #5 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

A cam designed to work for an eb2 or ed would be compatable. The XH ecu doesnt have capibility to run the manifold so the timing maps are to suit the ea - ed manifold
Old 03-17-2003, 01:16   #6 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

NZinAUS unfortunately i was involved in the fitting of the aformentioned cam into said EF head, and while the ED cam might work well with the ED manifold and computer, it sure as hell dont work with the EF rockers!!!

the inlet and exhaust rockers on EA-D falcons are not interchangeable, the exhaust ones are straight and the inlet ones are on a slight angle, when viewed from the top down. on a EF (and possibly onwards) the inlet and exhaust rockers are the same, ford just turns the inlet ones through 180 degrees and bungs them onto the exhaust side.

so when you put a ED cam into a EF head with EF rocker gear the cam lobes are way to wide and they dont line up exactly, meaning when you try and tighten down the gear the rocker arms get squashed onto the cam lobes and get FUBAR. as i found out.

ED gear will fit EF head with ED cam no worries, this is what we used to get poor dinga out of trouble on sunday. i have never heard noisier rocker gear on any car. ever. including drag V8s with solid lifters...we must have picked the one with the most F*cked lifters in the place!

i dont know if a EF cam would go into a ED while still using the ED rockers, its possible given the thinner lobes of the EF cam, might allow it to fit, but if you are going to get a EF cam then EF rocker gear is the way to go as well, smaller lighter rockers let the engine rev a bit easier and might also let a little load off the valvesprings...

i think the reason ED/F heads are so different is because the redline on a ED is 5000rpm, but on a EF its 5500rpm, to get the extra revs and smoothness out of the later engine they made the cam lighter, same with rockers, (rockers became interchangable possibly to help cost cutting) also the valve stems are 2mm smaller on EF compared to ED, the springs are conical instead of normal...

dinga i reckon that you should get the EF crow cam and get some EF rocker gear, sell or swap the ED cam. unless you want to buy a full set of lifters for ED rocker gear...

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech