can it be done???? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2004, 19:19   #1 (permalink)

can it be done????

hi guys just wondering (could be stupidity creepin in) if it is possible to turbo charge a 4.1 x-flow carbie engine. I have seen some kits going around but from what i can gather its all simple pipes with an air intake to carbie/carbies into the engine, then from the exuast through the turbo back into the mix. doesn't sound that hard. am i missing something all together. would it be possible to fabricate this myself without buying an expensive kit??? any info would be great. I have heard of the guys from gas research turboing the 4.1's so i guess its not impossible. what $$$ am i looking at if i can't fabricate it myself and who would do it in the VIC area.
freshinXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2004, 20:55   #2 (permalink)
1972 XA GS Fairmont

Re: can it be done????

I can't see why it couldnt be done. I was told i could turbo charge my 250 pre cross flow. I've got an old magizine with a turbo XD in that is using a twin carb suck through system. In full street trim running streetable boost it ran a 13.2 second pass.
XA Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 22:00   #3 (permalink)
XF 250 4.1 XFLOW TURBO

find mr0250 on ff he now has a xf 250 4.1 efi turbo but his previous car was an xf 250 4.1 carb turbo run 12's
blueovalxfboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 02:26   #4 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

anything is possible when you involve $$$ - im going to assume you want to spend as little as possible?

are you any good at welding? if you are then that will help immensly.

a turbo (internal wastegate should be sufficient) will probably be the most expensive thing you will need, followed by the manifold for it, then the piping.

PM gm destroya - he does manifolds for the 4L I6s, the 4.1 is only slightly different, i cant imagine he will have a problem with it, he should be able to knock you up a manifold for the right side of $600 plus postage (dont quote me there, im guessing, but it should be about that)

once you have the turbo in the bay, you will need to put the battery somewhere else (the boot for instance) to make room for the carby which will now be on the drivers side of the engine bay.

weither you get a webber side-draught or a holley or whatever is up to you. you will need a pipe going from that to the turbo, then from the turbo into the intake manifold on the other side - you could use a XF EFi manifold with the injector holes welded up or just the normal carby jobbie with the pipe bolted onto where the carby would normally go.

set the boost to a lowish level (5psi? 7 even?) and then just adjust the timing on the dizzy to suit the engine - you will probably want to spend a bit of time on the dyno to figure out how much boost and timing you can get away with without pinging, as opposed to doing it on the road and blowing your motor sky high. getting it "regraphed" would probably be a good idea (thats where they change the weights inside it to give more or less advance at high revs, as compared to stock)

you will probably need an electric fuel pump to supply enough fuel to the carby as well, as it will most likely be much more than the stock cam-driven fuel pump can cope with.

you will also have to maybe get a vacuume tank and a one-way valve somewhere to supply vacuume to your heating/demist stuff, and the brake booster too.

and then have a think about upgrading your diff and gearbox once they start to sh!t themselves.

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!

Last edited by Rollin; 03-19-2004 at 02:32.
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 04:45   #5 (permalink)

Think about cooling the charge with a methanol injection....as you cant "intercool" a carby turbo set-up.
I' dhonestly look into EFI as well, a carby turbo is a PITA, nowhere near as tunable as an EFI system.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:59   #6 (permalink)

Yes can it be done ???

Yes it can.

My XD Turbo uses a genuine NormalAir Garett setup and it has a single CD175 Stromberg adapted to the front of the TO4 turbo.
There was also a twin CD175 setup and a single Weber 45mm available.
My setup has a custom pipe which crosses over the rocker and bolts onto the standard inlet manifold. Alot easier and cheaper to do.
The Genuine setup used a single pipe which went to a plenum with a set of tuned length banana's attached.
Mike Vine Turbochargers in Brisbane bought all this stuff off Garett after they discontinued it all but he won't sell me the banana's. He told me not to use the EFI manifold as they were flowed for air only ???

Previously had these pictures in My Galley.
Hope this helps you !!!

[QUOTE=freshinXR]hi guys just wondering (could be stupidity creepin in) if it is possible to turbo charge a 4.1 x-flow carbie engine.
Old 03-21-2004, 00:47   #7 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

Quote:
He told me not to use the EFI manifold as they were flowed for air only ???
yeah thats probably true - the shape of the passages in carby manifolds are different to EFi ones, as the carby ones are designed to keep the fuel/air mix mixed as it passes through, so the EFi one would probably pull the fuel out of the mix on a bend or something...

so forget i ever suggested the EFi manifold

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech