Can I swap the diff and rims from an EB to EL? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2006, 21:05   #1 (permalink)
Mcccli

Can I swap the diff and rims from an EB to EL?

Hey; I'm confident the answer is yes, but you can never be too sure with these things...
Can I bolt an EB diff onto an EL;
Will the rims with an EB pattern bolt onto an EL?
Finally, I assume I can swap the clutch and flywheel over from the EB to the EL also??

Thanks in advance
mcccy005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2006, 19:57   #2 (permalink)

Re: Can I swap the diff and rims from an EB to EL?

yes they are the same.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:45   #3 (permalink)

Eb's generally don't have ABS so if your EL does and the EB doen't it may need small mods to put the sensors somewhere. And then ABS rotors fitted.
Heckaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 03:56   #4 (permalink)
Mcccli

All good - I have ABS so thats handy then
Old 04-17-2006, 04:03   #5 (permalink)

no worrys
Old 04-17-2006, 04:05   #6 (permalink)

you will run into problems with the handbrake setup on the EL. they have a shoe inside each rotor which is the handbrake... i also believe the trailing arms might be a different thickness...

wheels are fine...

94 ED Futura
PROUD TQE OPERATOR
13.822 @ 99.67MPH - Willowbank 05/08/2006
OED666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 19:09   #7 (permalink)
EBII GLi 4.0L 4spd LPG

with the clutch and flywheel, i scored an EA with an EB2 motor and T5. i dunno if the T5 was from the EA or got put in with the EB2 but i later found out that there are two different sized clutches: 9.5" and 10" and i have the 9.5 with i gather means its the EA manual... so you might just wanna check that ur flywheel on the EL is the same size as the EB...

but if ur swapping the whole assembely from EB to EL then you "should" be fine but not 100%...
Old 04-18-2006, 22:19   #8 (permalink)
Mcccli

What exactly do you mean by the trailing arms?
Also, I guess with the handbrake situation I could just swap the axles over and get new bearings put into the EL while I'm at it and that should be all good yes??
The main thing I want from the diff on my EB is the center since I had new bearings put in and slightly changed the ratio. (Speaking of which, will I find the gear thingy for my speedo in the top of my gearbox for my speedo??)
Finally re: the flywheel; pretty sure I should be ok with that then since I've got a feeling i've got a lightened flywheel to suit the XR6T and slightly larger clutch (since fords good ol' pedal box doesnt like heavy clutches)
Old 04-18-2006, 23:57   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabz
with the clutch and flywheel, i scored an EA with an EB2 motor and T5. i dunno if the T5 was from the EA or got put in with the EB2 but i later found out that there are two different sized clutches: 9.5" and 10" and i have the 9.5 with i gather means its the EA manual... so you might just wanna check that ur flywheel on the EL is the same size as the EB...

but if ur swapping the whole assembely from EB to EL then you "should" be fine but not 100%...
yes, there is a different flywheel on ea's and eb's. ea's i believe take an 8" clutch (, and what i have on my car) and eb's 9", but you can fit a 9.5" clutch). i am getting an XR6T flywheel and clutch, 10.5". should sort out my flat shifting problems at 5800rpm... :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcccy005
What exactly do you mean by the trailing arms?
Also, I guess with the handbrake situation I could just swap the axles over and get new bearings put into the EL while I'm at it and that should be all good yes??
The main thing I want from the diff on my EB is the center since I had new bearings put in and slightly changed the ratio. (Speaking of which, will I find the gear thingy for my speedo in the top of my gearbox for my speedo??)
Finally re: the flywheel; pretty sure I should be ok with that then since I've got a feeling i've got a lightened flywheel to suit the XR6T and slightly larger clutch (since fords good ol' pedal box doesnt like heavy clutches)
I think the thinkness of the trailing arms are different in eb's and el's... not 100% sure... sorry... unfortunately you would need to swap more than the axles over for the handbrake setup to swap over...

you could swap over the gears from your eb diff. they will fit straight in. i would suggest getting this done by a professional, as you will want the gears to mark up correctly or you will have a noisey diff, and most likely break it prematurely. the speedo transducer connected to the gearbox. you can undo it and fit it to the el once you have changed everything over.

i also believe that some bellhousing modification will need to be done to fit the BA flywheel. i am getting mine done for me. i dont want the hassle.

94 ED Futura
PROUD TQE OPERATOR
13.822 @ 99.67MPH - Willowbank 05/08/2006
OED666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 18:11   #10 (permalink)
Mcccli

Thanks for the info.
Maybe I'll just fork out the $400 again and get the diff on the EL rebuilt down the track. Sounds like its too much hassel and at least my eb will still maintain a bit of extra value with the rebuilt diff.

Regarding your clutch/flywheel setup from the XR6T, I didn't have any modifications to my bellhousing to get the clutch and flywheel fitted.
I've probably got the receipt at home somewhere still so if you want I can tell you what model the clutch and flywheel were (the clutch was definitely an Xtreme clutch ceramic cushion/button and i'm pretty sure thats where the flywheel came from too)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech