cat & manifold glowing! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2003, 05:14   #1 (permalink)

confused cat & manifold glowing!

I've been having a few problems with my xf falcon lately Im slowly getting around to fixing most of it. Tonight I went for a cigerette run and I noticed the temperature was a bit high, so I pulled over lifted the bonnet to see my exhaust manifold glowing red hot and welds on each side of the catalytic converter. Is this normal, I mean I've owned a turbo charged car before and seen the turbo glowing red hot after an hours of hard driving but yeah my xf is completely stock. I just had the factory exhaust replaced with a 2.5" inch system from the headers back.
Ive seen my catalytic converter glow before when I was towing a gocart back home, the cat ended up rattling around so I got the whole exh sys replaced. I would've of been driving for roughly 30 minutes at 80km/hr 2000rpm avg, not exactly driving a car hard! The engine is 250xflow carb, completely stock. Im a bit suspect on the carby as I was told it needed rebuilding and the automatic choke no longer works. But can timing/lean out causes that much heat in the exhaust? No other parts of the exhaust are glowing neither, just the cat + exh manifold.

Cheers guys, it's to close to xmas for me to be having major car probs!
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2003, 05:31   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: cat & manifold glowing!

Too rich can cause cats to overheat as they are trying to burn all that left over fuel etc. Check your timing ? I'd say its retarded...Check for any inlet leaks...Cheap fuels such as too much ethonol can do this also ???
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 05:40   #3 (permalink)

Yeah Im a bit sus on the carb, after I got the exhaust installed the fella there told me to get my car tuned and said not to drive it. I also remember seeing on my old tailpipe a black stripe(burn mark,oil,excess fuel?) about 10mm wide inside and on the bottom of the exhaust?.

Cheers gives me a few more ideas to look at tommorrow when I get around to it

Last edited by crash; 11-22-2003 at 05:42.
Old 11-22-2003, 11:17   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like you are running too rich a mixture and have clogged the cat(s). Having the same problem with my 85 Mustang 5.0. It gets WORSE! a few months back I would be in fourth gear at full throttle in less then a city block but seeing only 22 MPH on the speedo!

Gas milage got down to 6 mpg on th ehighway at a time when gas prices were the highest this year. I had to replace the cat system and retune the carb(y, added for you Aussies).
uterozbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 11:22   #5 (permalink)

Also might add that if you run too rich you are faced with thte problem of the raw gas washing away the cylinder's lubricant. Good way to ruin a piston and/or cylinder wall.

I write from experience.
uterozbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 16:17   #6 (permalink)
Ghiad Up

By 'gas' you mean petrol right?, sorry for my ignorance, no one ever called it gas here, until recently.
bowsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 00:15   #7 (permalink)

So is my duel fuel petrol/gas engine is now a gas/gas engine?
Old 11-23-2003, 02:31   #8 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

No gas and LPG hahaha !!!
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 05:23   #9 (permalink)

yeah but haven't you heard the saying 'put your foot on the gas?' I mean it cant be 'put your foot on the petrol'
Old 11-23-2003, 06:15   #10 (permalink)

Hey Crash, I can't give you a reason why but I had the same problem a few years back with stock 6cyl XC on gas
(lpg) It does give you a shock when you lift the bonnet
and there is the manifold glowing like buggery - especially on a dark night with no street lights! I spoke with several people (mechanics) including local Ford dealer and none could give an explanation or had really heard of the problem before. I kept driving it untill i sold it or engine blew - can't remember!
s_pak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech