CFI -> MPI what am i in for? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2002, 07:32   #1 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

CFI -> MPI what am i in for?

Ok people I've finally got my EB series 1 Falcon 5sp sitting in the drive way. Got it for $2500 with a blown head gasket, spent $500 on the gasket and head machining (mate is a mech) Now I've got a lovely (but boring) car to drive in.
Now considering my last car was stolen my first mod will be an alarm and immobiliser and then a decent deck (JVC MP3).
However later on I want to take a week or two off work and stuff with it a bit. Now the exterior will be getting the bumpers resprayed and the roof while the rest of the car is good for a cut and polish and some t-cut. However the engine mod will be a set of Dynomax (lukey) extractors and exhaust along with a new cat from my old work at the same time I'd like to fit a cam and do a MPI conversion.
Now all the stuff I've mentioned I can do easily except for the MPI convertion. I've been quoted between $260 and $395 for all the bits I'll need to convert from the wreakers.
How much wiring is involved and is it a total head ache? I'm hoping it's a simple case of unplug this loom and computer and replace it and bobs my uncle but I'm guessing it will be a little harder also does the dash need to come out to do this? If so I may replace the heater box as well (workes but not as well as it could)
Sorry for the long post and all the questions but I've been searching the forums fo ages trying to get exact answers but I couldn't find much cheers!
carazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2002, 21:20   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

The following threads will provide information on the conversion, and the first one also includes links to even more threads!

http://discussions.fordforums.com/sh...ght=conversion

http://discussions.fordforums.com/sh...ght=conversion

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 21:33   #3 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

thanks Jack I can always rely on you for some usefull posts.
Old 11-01-2002, 17:26   #4 (permalink)
MustardX

If your looking for a headache, try and pull the heater.
The a/c and heater is all in the one box so your going to have to crack the a/c gas lines. The box itself takes up the entire passanger side right across to the drivers leg.
You can undo the sides of the dash and the 5 screws that you'll find under the plastic strip that covers the join between the dash and windscreen, that in itself is a mission, it's got clips in the middle and a screw on each end. (i broke mine)
The dash should, after a big effort, sit on the pass seat, i left the steering wheel and turned the dash sideways.
The bolts that hold the box in place are also used to hold the wiring harness in the engine bay. In fact most of the bolts that look like that are part of that heater. Access is much easier with the head off especially when your putting it back
It is a big job and i'd put aside a weekend for it.
Old 11-01-2002, 19:20   #5 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

Yeah I'm going to save my money for a while buy all the stuff and take 2 weeks off to do the following:
install MPI, fix the heater (hopefully just the heater valve), respray the roof and bumbers, install a crow cam and extracters with a new cat and exhaust.
That's my plan and I'm bugeting for around $1000 for all of it as the labour will be me and my mate (a mechanic) in his spray shead.
carazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 00:53   #6 (permalink)
indecisive

To complete the MPFI conversion does it require a different fuel system (higher fuel pressure) or does it still operate on the same pressure as the CFI?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech