change EL's fuel from ulp to pulp - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2005, 03:40   #1 (permalink)

change EL's fuel from ulp to pulp

A mechanic with lots of Ford experience and some Ford owner mates have suggested I try running pulp in my EL Falcon. They claim better fuel economy, more power (without pinging), better engine response, cooler running engine.

I.E. Especially when towing.

Has anyone tried it; what results did you get?

Cheers Northey
northey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2005, 04:04   #2 (permalink)
EMW ??? Whats missing ?

Re: change EL's fuel from ulp to pulp

the only thing i dissagrea with up there is the cooler running bit..... With el's having knock sensors the ecu should adapt somwhat to the higher octain of the fuel and wind in some timing... But not so sure about it.. JUst try it.. its only 100 bucks to fill on premo syn 8000
3.7 lsd
AU bottem end
ELXR6 ported Head
PH4480 Pacemakers
INJECTED250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 23:18   #3 (permalink)

In My EFII I can get an extra 100+ clicks (510 on ULP, 610 on PULP) using Caltex 98 over whatever the normal ULP is (92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by northey
A mechanic with lots of Ford experience and some Ford owner mates have suggested I try running pulp in my EL Falcon. They claim better fuel economy, more power (without pinging), better engine response, cooler running engine.

I.E. Especially when towing.

Has anyone tried it; what results did you get?

Cheers Northey
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 01:21   #4 (permalink)
XW GT

Yeah Does Make A Far Bit Of Difference.
Hey Plus Your Helping The Environment Haha.
You Do Increase The Economy And Also Power
Not Sure About The Pinging In An El, WouldNT Thought That You Should Be Getting It On Ulp
'77 XC FALCON 500.
'92 EB FAIRMONT
'91 EB FALCON
'76 XB CONTINENTIAL
YES I LIKE MY FORDS TO
DANGERXY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 18:38   #5 (permalink)

I tried PULP in my EL XR6 5-spd man on two separate occasions when PULP price came to within 6 cents of ULP (So it was a while ago!) In both cases I conditioned the engine first by putting a tank of PULP through it before I commenced the fuel consumption check. This was to allow the ECU to interpret any different info it might have received from the knock sensor or to remap the timing.

In study #1, I travelled mainly around town. The car seemed to have a little more grunt down low, relativley easily felt through the manual drive train in 3rd or 4th gear. There was a minor improvemnt in average consumption (13.3 instead of about 13.6). In study #2 I knew I had a country run to do, so the ECU was condiitoned again. Over 500k's or so I have to say I did not detect any huge improvment at highway speeds or during overtaking. From go to whoa I got 10.2 l/100k, whereas I usually got 10.5l/100k. I obtained these figures both from the trip computer (which is actually quite accurate) and confirmed by manual calculations.

So I have to say that any gains that I got were small, and were not enough to convince me to change to PULP. Even less reason today. The car is really quite happy on regular ULP and I can't justify the extra cost.
fordboy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 03:08   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for responses everyone.
The car doesn't ping on ulp - I keep forgetting about the automatic adjustments made by ECU - not right up with all this technology stuff.

I forgot to mention important part - the big difference noticed by mates was when towing trailers, but still a noticeable diff. in normal running.
northey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 09:53   #7 (permalink)

I havent run my car on anything other than PULP since ive owned my car.i dont like regular unleaded.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech