Cleaned Injectors In, Now keeps stalling? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2004, 07:10   #1 (permalink)

Cleaned Injectors In, Now keeps stalling?

I got my injectors on my XF EFI out, and had them cleaned in the vibrating cleaning machine. I put them in today, put new gaskets on all the inlet manifolds, now when I start the car I have to accelerate to get it started, and keep the revs up, otherwise it stalls. The engine runs pretty rough as well. i cant run the car, it just stalls everytime, the injectors work fine as they were tested, and worked fine before I got them cleaned. You dont have to have the inejectors in a certain sequence do you? Any injector can go in any port right?

What could be causing this?, any help would be greatly appreciated.
fOrD mAn Xf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2004, 07:26   #2 (permalink)
Jim Mock You Rock

Re: Cleaned Injectors In, Now keeps stalling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fOrD mAn Xf
I got my injectors on my XF EFI out, and had them cleaned in the vibrating cleaning machine. I put them in today, put new gaskets on all the inlet manifolds, now when I start the car I have to accelerate to get it started, and keep the revs up, otherwise it stalls. The engine runs pretty rough as well. i cant run the car, it just stalls everytime, the injectors work fine as they were tested, and worked fine before I got them cleaned. You dont have to have the inejectors in a certain sequence do you? Any injector can go in any port right?

What could be causing this?, any help would be greatly appreciated.
did you pull the spark plug leads off?Did you put the injector plugs on in the right order?
useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 07:41   #3 (permalink)

No I didnt pull them off, double checked, but even if they had come off it wouldnt matter, as if I keep my foot on the accelerator it runs fine, if it sits on about 1000rpm's with my foot on the accelorator it wont stall.

The injector plugs? the electronic cable ones? yeah they are in the right order....its very weird, because it runs fine if I accelerate, if I take my foot off it drops and then stalls completely.
Old 10-09-2004, 17:50   #4 (permalink)
MLS

sounds like you may have a vacuum leak leak around some of the injectors.

Start the engine and keep it running while moving the injectors a little by hand and see if that makes a difference.

Also, did they put new rubber seals on the bottom of the inectors? If so did you make sure all the old gaskets were removed from the manifold? There could be 1 or 2 left in there stopping the other infectors from being held in place properly by the fuel rail.

And have a general look aorund the manifol for any vacuum hoses or electrical connectors that may have come adrift.
MLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 19:14   #5 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

It does sound like a vacuum leak especially since you've just had the injectors out & manifold off..

You do have the fuel pressure regulator hooked up properly and all the hoses on? And you replaced the gaskets either side of the injector bit of the intake manifold right?

It's going to be a process of elimination. Easiest way to find a vacuum leak that's as bad as this one sounds is by ear! If you pull off a vacuum hose off the manifold it should get worse. If it doesn't then your problem is certainly a vacuum leak. We used to use a small butane cylinder with a small diameter hose on it to spray gas around the manifolds on a running engine to find vacuum leaks. If the engine speed went up you had found the source of the leak.

The crankcase has to be airtight or an XF EFI will run like a bag of shit. Check the oil filler cap is on properly & the dipstick is right in.

Try adjusting the idle using the screw in the throttle body so see if you can get it to idle.
yeah right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 21:33   #6 (permalink)

yeah thanks I will check all of them.

they did put new o ring seals on. I think it might be the throttle postiion switch sensor, because the little cable comes down under the fuel rail, it has a spring tenioner, and it has to be ligned up correclty, i had to take this off to get the intake tubes and injectors off.
Old 10-09-2004, 21:35   #7 (permalink)

and it did take a while to start it for the first time, as there was no fuel in the lines as it came out when I took the injectors out, so when i started the engine, it had to pump fuel in.

thats why i thought there could be air in the fuel system, but i put the throttle on until operating temperature, so all the air should have gone.
Old 10-09-2004, 21:47   #8 (permalink)
need BOOST

i had the injectors out to check their flow only a couple of days ago...put it all back together and got a similar thing. Engine sounded like an ignition lead had popped off and it was running on 7 cylinders.

i too was worried about an air leak, but as long as your gasket surfaces were clean, you used new gaskets, and torqued back up to the right specs (and in the right sequence were applicable) this shouldn't be the problem.

anyway...the next morning, with a clear head, I disconnected then reconnected all the electrical connections that were disconnected for the job and it fixed the problem. More than likely for me it was just a connector not all the way 'home'
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 22:40   #9 (permalink)

guys I should have listened!! I feel like such an idiot!! i started pulling off some bolts on the plenum to see the throttle switch, and noticed a pvc pipe was off!!! put it back on and bang she runs like a gem!!

i cant stress enough how important it is to thouroughly checking everything on the engine before you start ripping off bolts, and i mean everything!! it saves you a lot of time!

the engine runs smoother too!! it worked! im going to go for a spin after bathurst, i will let you know how she runs, (throttle take up etc.)

im the village idiot...!!!
Old 10-10-2004, 01:16   #10 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

Now do this - under "Stalling XF EFI's" on http://www.fueltech.com.au/vehicletips.htm. You won't regret it. The top if the VAF is tricky to get off but persist with a scalpel under the lip (where the silicone is) and you'l be amazed at the difference once you're done.
yeah right is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech