Ford Forums banner

Clutch fan - stiff?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  89Falcon 
#1 ·
Hey all..

Went outside before and decided to give my EA a once over check for fluids and such. Anyway as I do I gave the clutch fan a bit of a flick and it was VERY stiff (I must admit I hadn't eaten my wheaties so I went inside, ate a bowl of fruity bix). It was still very stiff. By stiff I mean it could considerable effort to spin it and when my hand left it stopped immediately.

In the past the fan would complete another 1/2 to 1 spin depending on how hard i flicked. Now I gave it some more turning and it started to loosen a little but very little.

Does this mean the fluid has leaked out and its essentially seized? I have noticed an increase in fan noise recently - dust flies out from under the car on idle - and it doesn't want to rev as much at all.

So I assuming that the fan is now running at full speed all the time? Obviously its not going to overheat but I reckon my fuel economy has suffered a bit...

May be time for a thermo conversion? My only concern is will the 85A alternator handle the draw? I guess FWD cars all run thermos and most of them only have 85A at most.

Dan..

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Jason, I only have a GL so the only electrics apart from std is a stronger headunit. It had a 70A one but it got a brand new 85A a few months ago.

But does it sound like the clutch fan is buggered?

Dan..

#4 ·
Well I thought they were supposed to be locked up at cold/low revs, and at high revs go into free spinning mode actually.

So in effect it is working correctly to my way of thinking, I only did a thermo fan conversion because mine ate the bearing in the clutch fan and a new one from Ford was around the $300 mark :0).

#5 ·
But mine worked the other way round - so according to your theory mine never worked properly to begin with and now works properly? hmmm..

I would imagine that when cold, they wouldn't spin as fast, and when hot it locks up and spins faster. But I've also been told that they don't spin at all over 60km/h.

Someone must know for sure.

Daniel..

#9 ·
My EA GL has had a problem similar to this ever since i bought it 9 months ago
and it never used to worry me but now i have put extractors and a 2 1/2" exhaust i tend to give it a fair bit more than i used to and i hate when i go to show off to my mates :wnc: by chopping it down a ratio and planting the foot and the fan makes the car sound like an aeroplane ready to take off (the Fan is always spinning). What do i do, Repair it or Get a New one?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.