Coil Help Please - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2004, 05:04   #1 (permalink)

Coil Help Please

I was driving along in my ea tonight and it cut out on me and wouldn't restart are looking around I noticed that the fuel pump would prime the lines and when I cranked the engine it wouldn't come on.. and at the same time i had no spark from the plugs so when i got it towed home after about another hour it started working again can anyone shed some light on what is maybe my problem....

After I got it going agian I replaced the coil with another one I had at home and now the car seems to have less power then it did before could this be a bad coil or is it related to my other problem..

Thanks Guys

soon to have a shift kit and one day in the unforseen future i will drop in the manual gearbox
d_slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2004, 05:25   #2 (permalink)

Re: Coil Help Please

and that would be in whats car?

EDIT: my bad ... read sig

Last edited by EvilChief; 03-21-2004 at 05:39.
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 05:31   #3 (permalink)

89 Ea Gl 3spd Cfi

soon to have a shift kit and one day in the unforseen future i will drop in the manual gearbox
Old 03-21-2004, 05:41   #4 (permalink)

did any water get into the ecu at any stage? had similar probs in a mates XF after the ecu took a bath in the rain. now its sits in a garbage bag :)
Old 03-21-2004, 05:59   #5 (permalink)

No I have tryed 2 Ecus and it's not that

Old 03-21-2004, 07:30   #6 (permalink)

Mine did that ages ago.. tried diff coil and would die after a while.. work again hours later for a short period.

Usually the Hall effect sensor in the dizzy.. but best to replace that and the TFI as a pair as they can cause the other to fail.

I did it the easy way.. picked up a 2nd hand dizzy at the wreckers and its been fine since.
eskyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 17:14   #7 (permalink)

I will give that a go and let you know how it goes

thanks very much for you help

Old 03-22-2004, 23:41   #8 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

d_slayer, once your coil starts to go it will put pressure on your Ignition module, I went throught 3 coils in 6 months.
The first replacement was faulty, they replaced it, and when the third one shat, they said the module was fried.
So it probably wouldnt hurt to get it checked or replaced
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 05:45   #9 (permalink)

I have just replaced my Dizzy (TFI) unit too but now the harm balancer is stuffed so I have to wait for a new on to arrive but hopefully I will Have a Car back in 2 or 3 days.. will let everyone know what happens

Old 03-23-2004, 21:59   #10 (permalink)

also going from a high ignition coil to stock will show decrease in power as well, make sure you get a good high performance coil (45,000 volts min.) i went from an msd with 45,000 volts to stock with bout 35,000 volts and noticed quite a difference. also when using a higher voltage coil, open up the spark gap about 5-10 more. mine were at 50, but when i went back to stock i had to reduce back to 40.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech