cold air intakes for ED - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2004, 02:34   #1 (permalink)
Aspiring Audi RS6 Owner

cold air intakes for ED

just wondering where i can find cold air intakes for ED I6
12/93 ED Fairmont I6 auto 16" CSA rims lowered pedders 2 1/2 lukey zorst JVC mp3 head unit 6" Pioneer comp splits, 6" rears 2 12" pioneers in custom built box 350w pioneer amp and 700w pioneer amp clear front and side indicators colour coded bumpers Gen ED XR front
TuffED6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2004, 05:12   #2 (permalink)
FPVWEPN

Re: cold air intakes for ED

cold air intakes cant be bought as a kit for the ed u already got a panel filter just stick a xh snorkel on and ull be fine does **** all to the power output neway unless u got ported inlets/ massive cam
King Springs Superlows, K-mac camber-castor kit, colour coded interior, AU3 Xr8 Snorkle, K&N pod Filter, Deribbed Air Box, AutoLite Plugs, JMM Race Series Headers, High flow cat, 2.5 inch Redback exaust, 3" stainless steel intake, dev 5 cam, rollmaster timing gear, crow valve springs, stainless steel valves, dev 5 head, au headgasket, 4.11 LSD "174 rwks!!!"
FPVWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 06:26   #3 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

but if you take the airbox off and put a pod on there you get an awesome sounding induction roar :) you just have to shield the pod from engine bay heat, and make sure it gets air from somewhere cool.

if you want to keep the panel filter then using an XH ute snorkel will be pretty much all you can do.

there are probably about a million threads in here about what people have done to their induction setups to gain power, i really dont know if it makes that much difference, its mainly noise.

having said that i went to all this trouble lol: (that black pipe is an XH ute snorkel by the way)

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 23:30   #4 (permalink)
Aspiring Audi RS6 Owner

I like the job rollin wat did all the parts cost u (inc air filter)wat did u use as a heat sheild how much is the XH snorkal
12/93 ED Fairmont I6 auto 16" CSA rims lowered pedders 2 1/2 lukey zorst JVC mp3 head unit 6" Pioneer comp splits, 6" rears 2 12" pioneers in custom built box 350w pioneer amp and 700w pioneer amp clear front and side indicators colour coded bumpers Gen ED XR front
TuffED6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 03:03   #5 (permalink)
Australian ED XR6 Member

TuffED - there's been a million & one different threads about cold air intakes for falcons over the years.
Off the top of my head I can remember at least 6 of them, use the search function, you may be suprised what you may find.
"Fat men cannot run as fast as thin men, but we build most of our vehicles as though dead weight fat increased speed.......I cannot imagine where the delusion that weight means strength comes from." - Henry Ford.
Wulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 05:28   #6 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

Geez EA-ED have ugly lookin factory intake setups lol
Old 06-10-2004, 05:59   #7 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Dallas, if your interested i have a very similar setup to Rollin, you can have a look at the next meeting or send me a PM and we can organise somthing.
I should be able to help you out with it if you want.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 06:00   #8 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Rollin, have you modded your XH snorkle yet?
My snorkle cost me $36.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 06:17   #9 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

TuffED6: the metal bits are all checkerplate (proper alloy stuff, not that plastic crap from supercheap) the snorkel is about 30 bucks from ford if i remember correctly, (the part number is in many many many other threads on this subject!!!) i also trimmed the rubber bonnet seal above the passenger headlight, and removed the rubber seal from around the headlight - it probably did SFA but it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling anyway.

the checkerplate is cut to conform to the bonnet line, you cant see it in the photo but there is actually a very slight crease in the heat sheilding on the bonnet - thats how close it goes.

it would possibly benifit from closing up the back of it too, but i havent gotten around to that yet, and probably never will

air filter is a K&N one, i think i got it for about $70 from supercheap on special, down from 90, and it has a 75mm to 90mm adaptor (normal PVC pipe) then a 90 degree 90mm bend, then another adaptor back to 75mm, then it goes into an EA intake pipe and through the wall to the TB, and the PVC is all painted in 'wheel silver' to look pretty.

TKFD6: modify? how do you mean? i just put it in there...

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 06:29   #10 (permalink)
Yes, fords still kick

Rollin, I like the look of your setup. I have the XH Snorkel installed and a K & N Pod waiting to go in. I think I am going to go the same way as you did with the checker plate. How did you join the checker plate to the engine bay, and where did you get the adaptor bit from for the filter - the bit that extends the intake pipe. Thanks for your help mate, go the EB XR6's. Also is it worth putting on the EA intake pipe over the stock XR6 one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech