Compression tested - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2003, 14:04   #1 (permalink)
Chasing down oil leaks...

Compression tested

I had a friend do a compression test on my EA donk (which I think has a cracked head gasket) and the compression came out from memory

1-4,6: all around 155psi, from 150-160 (1040kpa = 150psi)
5: 130psi or 900kPa

Does that sound right if the gasket is blown. You see currently I am having a debate with my friend and he says that the compression would not be that high if the gasket was blown, however no. 5 is low but is that too low? I don't know much about compression and I just looked up the Haynes and it says 1040kPa is correct.

Any thoughts? And yes there is coolant loss in water, all the typical head gaskert horrors, etc..

Dan..

Axeman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2003, 00:25   #2 (permalink)

Re: Compression tested

Just because your loosing water/coolant doesn't mean that your head gasket is blown. First i reccomend that you check all your coolant hoses.......
FoRDXtC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 00:29   #3 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Usually if head gasket is gone, you get water in your Oil, so your oil goes white, check the oil filler cap, is it white underneath, and was the test done with all the plugs out, just asking. The cylinder in question, may have unseated valves !!

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 02:28   #4 (permalink)

Yep the oil was white and largely water when drained and there is no leaking hoses at all..

Dan..

Old 10-21-2003, 01:15   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Head gasget!! Fit new head bolts with thread that runs up 3/4 of bolt....These don't break as easy and are the modified ones....
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 01:28   #6 (permalink)
#FAIRMONT GHIA#

Just thought id tell u about my car, i purchased the fairmont for $650 - very cheap. it had water in the oil so we suspected it was the head gasket, but when i removed the head it had no problems. the gregorys stated that it also had the possibility of being the bore, seeing as i knew which cylinder the leak was in i found it straight away (a crack). you could just see it and u could feel it by scraping ur finger nail against it. i got my auncle (mechanic works on alot of taxis/fords) and he agreed what it was but said he had never seen or heard of this happening in these cars - e-series i was unlucky!
Old 10-21-2003, 17:07   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent-EA Ghia
the possibility of being the bore, seeing as i knew which cylinder the leak was in i found it straight away (a crack). you could just see it and u could feel it by scraping ur finger nail against it.
It had a cracked block!? and the head was fine? Thats gotta be unlucky..

ebxr8240: Yeah I know its a head gasket but I am also using this as a tool for learning about my car, my thoughts would be that if a head gasket was blown then compression would suffer and I am assuming that after the compression test that the leak must be on cylinder no. 5 and if i took that plug out then it should be very clean from water entering into that cylinder.

I'd go have a look but the car is twenty minutes away at a friends property and I have stupid presentations and reports to prepare! Anyone interested in peanut and europe? I sure ain't anymore...

I'm just waiting for uni to finish so I can spend some time on it..

Dan..

Old 10-22-2003, 20:53   #8 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

It depends where it's blown....compression won't always suffer. If there's water in the oil then it's blown between the two jackets...or the head's cracked...and the blown gasket may not have reached to the combustion chamber.
In any case the head will have to come off.
If the plug IS steam-cleaned then yes it got that far :)

I doubt it'd be a sticky valve as they usually make a bigger difference to compressions.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 22:05   #9 (permalink)

I've just been given another possible way for the water to enter the oil and that is for the heater pipe in the inlet manifold to corrode and water enters down with the fuel/air mixture.. It's a CFI by the way..

Apparently that can happen too..

Dan..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech