Conversion to MPFI - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2004, 19:03   #1 (permalink)
Beasty EA

Smile Conversion to MPFI

Hi there,

Well after needing to rebild my block of my 3.9CFI due to the engine not being right since we had it i asked my father if i could convert to mpfi. The answer was no, we had a lengthy debate but he is a hard cookie to break. He said that getting a brand new wiring loom and installing it all and changing it was hard as he didnt know how. So i ask this question.....whats involved with the wiring if i wont it done properly.

The mechanic and good mate (so i wont be getting ripped off) sourced me an engine, but it has not been picked up yet. Today whilst moving my car so my brother could get out the drive let me in on a secret that i will most likely be getting MPI. My dad told him not to tell me but he did. SO woohoo, the shitty cfi will b going in the next month or two. The head as already been done, so i cant stuff round with that, to gain extra power with the mpi but what other cheaper (im a uni studnet) mods can be done to a mpi to gain power and beat some commys!!!

i say bring on the beast and let me know what mods i can start doing once i have the mpi. Also whats involved in the wiring?

Cheers
Pazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2004, 07:20   #2 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Re: Conversion to MPFI

Theres a how to on ford tech website, by mongrelEb i think. Sometimes theres links down the right hand side of the page for them.
As far as i know theres not much involved.

As for mods, most of the common ones like air intake, mayeb try get 2nd hand extractors n exhaust from the wreckers. If u got a 4spd auto u could try 9psi EBs shift kits found at mechanicalforums.com

Also wade cams are pretty cheap, and if your playing around with your engine anyway, should see if u can whack one in. Theres a big thread aout it in the i6 forum. 20 odd pages long, just check out the last few but :)

Could also look into getting a different diff ratio out of a skyline or a VL. Can get a bit costly but

Jase
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 08:12   #3 (permalink)
WHAT THE?

whack a wade regrind cam in...they are only about 160 bux and will boost your power a fair bit for the money
SPHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 09:05   #4 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Yeah I hear a lot of people tell me their mechanic said it would be too hard and cost ridiculous amounts of money.

Let you in on a secret mate. I sell mpfi kits for $150 each here in Perth, or $300 fitted.
Most of the work is involved in changing the manifold - simple bolt off, bolt on stuff. Time consuming is all.
The wiring involves one wire change for the new idle control mechanism, and another three for the gearbox computer if it's a 4-speed. 3-speeds and manuals do not require that.
Changing the wiring is as simple as plugging in the MPFI injector loom that comes with the manifold, and running an extra wire or 4. As Jase said, there's an article on the site, actually written by my brother I think (can't remember )

As above, a nice cam can be relatively cheap and return good figures on the MPFI setup. You'll want a proper (not just cat-back) exhaust to make the most of it though. Probably the thing to do before a cam.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech