Converting XF to EFI - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2004, 20:30   #1 (permalink)
Breastologistâ„¢

Converting XF to EFI

How hard is it to convert an XF carby to EFI, what parts am i going to need, do i need to re-wire the whole thing, etc and what problems could i run into?
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2004, 01:58   #2 (permalink)

Re: Converting XF to EFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wheel_man
what problems could i run into?
Ahh, it could run worse than when it was carby. If you are seriously contemplating this do not use the std efi ecu, it was pathetic and the airflow meters 1/2 th time don't work properly especially after a backfire up the intake tract. The hardware like the manifold and etc is fine though.
not ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 04:54   #3 (permalink)

i looked at it and then threw the idea out i had the kit for it an everything but you have to rewire the whole car for it and i had all the wiring for it out of a wreck i bought.

look at this stuff.

-wires for fuel pump
-you need an efi tank cuase the hole for the sender in carby is about 10cm diameter and the efi is about 20cm becuase of the in tank pump.
-wires running from the air flow meter go in the drivers side firewall and then run through the dash to get to the ecu.

thats just a few things i found that were going to be a pain in the arse

so i bought an xf fairmont ghia and it has the efi as standard with the limited slip diff.
xffalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 00:46   #4 (permalink)
EBII GLi 4.0L 4spd LPG

i was just thinking about this the other day but i dropped the idea because of all the screwing around involved...mainly my gas setup would need to be changed to fit EFI..but thats just one reason...
Old 08-16-2004, 19:15   #5 (permalink)

When I put EFI in the PV it was a bare sheel rebuild, can't remember how much trouble the loom was. You are spot on with the parts required and I agree with "not ford" the EEC IV in the XF is crap compared to later ones.

I've just converted the fuel pump to an external VL to get my fuel gauge working again. I had been using a mofied ED wagon pump and housing but now I just use the std XF gauge.

No reason why you couldn't do the same in a sedan
Softride Powerwing
roofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 19:33   #6 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

Its actually really easy to wire the engine bay for EFI. You only need to replace the wiring from the firewall forward (most, if not all the required qires should be in the existing loom). You probably have to take the dash out (or lean it forward) to get the ECU loom thru the firewall on the passenger side. Apart from that, everything should be a breeze.

I did the opposite about 8 months ago, I got rid of all the EFI wiring and replaced it with an engine bay loom from an 84 XF with the HEI electronic distributor.

I did all that cause I wanted to go straight gas and get rid of the ECU controlled spark timing so that the timing can be played with now by way of recurving.

Having said all that, "not ford" is right the XF EFI is prtty crap, but I have seen an XF EFI turbo still using the stock airflow meter, so things CAN be done.

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 21:53   #7 (permalink)

The main problem is the head. Most unleaded XFs had a head that the injectors can go into, but the leaded ones didnt.

I actually found with an XF that I once had (after some reading too) that the XF unleaded heads are a higher compression ratio than the XF EFI. I did notice the difference in power when driving it :)

The easiest way to see if your head can have EFI bolted on is to look at the inlet ports. If they have little bits cut out of them (i.e. round with another small round piece out of them) then it can cope with EFI. If the ports are perfectly round then the manifold and injectors wont go on it.

I think I have most of the XF EFI gear sitting around here. If you are interested drop me a PM.
cartman02au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 18:14   #8 (permalink)

The EFI heads have a different casting number stamped in the side - don't have the exact info on me, but the EFI version had something like EI and carb CI stamped on it (I'm sure that's wrong - but you get my drift).
Softride Powerwing
roofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 18:20   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofi
The EFI heads have a different casting number stamped in the side - don't have the exact info on me, but the EFI version had something like EI and carb CI stamped on it (I'm sure that's wrong - but you get my drift).
Actually, I recall that I think there was a E1, E2 and a C1, C2.

I dont remember which can take EFI though :S (all Es and some Cs).
cartman02au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 18:45   #10 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

I'm almost certain that all of the heads on the XF's had the releifs for the Injectors, I Think it was only the early alloy heads form the XD's and XE's that didnt.

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech