Coolant!!! Help Help Help Help! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2004, 19:32   #1 (permalink)

Coolant!!! Help Help Help Help!

well i have an ef falcon. 16 and stock as always (for now he he)

other night i was driving along and noticed the coolant level light was on so i pulled into a servo, literally about 50 meters away, and turned the engine off to put more water in... look under the car and GUSH, all my coolant started spraying out! its on the right hand side of the engine bay, when looking from the front of the car. my friend said it was where the heater hose is, but the racv dude said it could be two different things, but didnt have a good look due to the fact it was dark cold and he was lazy.

anyways what i wanna know is, is there anything that coolant would spray out of apart from a heater hose? racv said it could be a heater hose or some 'metal hose???'

pretty worried about it!! any suggestions to what else aprt from a heater hose it could be, would be very very appreciated.
nathan_xr6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2004, 19:40   #2 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Re: Coolant!!! Help Help Help Help!

There are metal pipes that carry coolant around that area and run along the block, they could be gone, but to be honest highly doubt it, rubber hoses wear out, unless you got corrosion in the engine system, check the hoses and replace as needed.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 20:11   #3 (permalink)

def no corrosion in my system :) ALWAYS run anti-rust coolant and the car has been very very thoroughly looked at by mechanics, racv etc. just had a look at it and there is a small rubber hose about 1 cm diameter running along near the engine, i put water in the system and saw it running out of there. the whole hose had split... apparently that can happen when u rev the car then stop suddenly...
Old 03-21-2004, 21:31   #4 (permalink)

any ef falcon owners know how much coolant they take?
Old 03-21-2004, 23:18   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Cooling system capacity is 15 litres, you want about 33% coolant, so 5 litres for an empty system.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 00:28   #6 (permalink)

Hey mate nothing to worry about i had the same problem on friday night. Was giving the car a fair bit and the stock heater hose that has been there for ages just blew. We replaced it and there is nothing wrong.

Its a matter of takeing a metal pipe off, and the broken hose also a small fuel hose. Go buy some new pipse of the same size even if they arent busted just to make sure and some new clamps.

I brought some good quality coolant 2.5 litres, put that in and water and i havent had ne problems giving it alot so far.

If you have ne more questions just ask seeing as it happend to me recently lol

Oh btw dont bother asking racv to do it, if you have some mates possibly ones that do mechanics get them under the car to fix it, its not hard but the clamps can be a bit tough. Mine basically went because we were givving it a fair bit of a rev and they were old factory hoses
Menco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 01:52   #7 (permalink)

yeah i had them spinning for a fairly long time... think thats what blew the hose. the metal hose is ok, but the rubber one that runs parrallel to the engine is split. i filled the tank with water and saw it running out when the car was running. i bought the hose to replace it, and coolant also. 5 litres? damn i didnt buy enough coolant argh. thanks for your help. i have only had the car 3 or so weeks and i was testing the wheel spin factor
Old 03-22-2004, 02:16   #8 (permalink)

lol yeah mate i only had mine 1 week and took 15 mins for my friend to be inducted into the ford crew with the bonnet up on the side of the road . I hope my 2.5L of fairly good quality coolant will do
Menco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 05:03   #9 (permalink)

he he i towed my car home... it was late and i didnt wanna do any more damage. gotta love the twin spinners on efs!! i had an ea and it had single... bad bad move. thanks for your help :)
Old 03-22-2004, 05:31   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Before you replace the hoses and top the coolant up, chuck a garden hose the cooling system and run it til the water coming out is clean.

Fix your hoses up, then pour the 5 litres of coolant in. It should need another 5 litres or so of water to top it up after that.

Never mix up 15 litres of coolant then pour it in. There's about 5 litres of water in the block you can't get out (well, easily). Mix it first and you might as well just pour your coolant down the drain.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech