Coolant leak? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2003, 16:02   #1 (permalink)
Hater-o-Head-Gaskets

Question Coolant leak?

heres the story, I've got al EL gli thats loosing coolant. I can top up the coolant resevoir but it will go from Max to Min in a day or two. I've only seen one coolant patch on the driveway so far but that could be from my brothers car. I've had a problem before that was "fixed" (notice the quote marks) last service at Bayford (Vic). Funny thing is I never can find a patch of coolant after driving for a while or being parked for a while yet the coolant is going somewhere.

Has anyone else had a problem with their coolant/radiator system?

I know this is a problem I could just get fixed (possibly under warranty) but I was hoping someone might be able to tell me if this is one of those famous common ford problems that can be fixed by hand or heavy foot

thanks

...::: www.FordMods.com :::...
Wazza80-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2003, 16:38   #2 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

I had the same mysterious dissappearing coolant on my 4.0 ED. The car ran fine, presumably never totally out of coolant as the engine never indicated it was hot yet the reserviour was always empty. Fill it and it would be empty again in a few days.

I found my problem when I awoke one morning to find the garage floor awash with coolant.

The radiator hose directly below the power steering pump and thus not normally visible had split at the clamp. The crusty crud indicates it had been leaking there under pressure for some time yet it would never pool under the car. The engine bay is kept reasonably clean and many fruitless serches had failed to turn anything up.

With the hose replaced the reserviour stays full.
Old 01-19-2003, 16:46   #3 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

Speaking of coolant hoses does anyone know if you can buy silicone hoses designed for Falcon coolant systems. ED v8 application in my case.
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 16:47   #4 (permalink)
removed as previously discussed!

try this.
drive around the whole day with your fans on 3 and aircon switch on.

see how that goes.

check clamps as mentioned, your rubber seal on your cap, do not put actual water in their either and make sure your thermo's work!
Old 01-19-2003, 17:05   #5 (permalink)
Hater-o-Head-Gaskets

That sounds exactly what is happening to me! last night I could even hear a hiss coming from somewhere around the power steering pump and the pool was under that area when I found it the first (and only) time. I've just had a look for the hose but can't see anything near the power steering or even near the reservoir but what you describe sound just like what they told me last service. Hopefully I can find the hose and replace it myself

Thanks

Old 01-19-2003, 17:07   #6 (permalink)
Hater-o-Head-Gaskets

Fuzion, have been using air con a lot lately and I don't know if it really affected anything. Should it?

Old 01-19-2003, 18:42   #7 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Wazza, pull off the power steering pump and all may be revealed. Mine was the hose that goes from the bottom of the radiator onto the water pump at the water pump clamp, directly below the power steering pump/reservior.

If it makes you feel any better mine was this way for years before it eventually let go. Fortunately it did that while parked at home in the garage. I even got sick of refilling it with coolant and months would pass with nothing visible in the reservior yet the car was always fine. In hindsight I presume it would hiss out under pressure until the level was down to the top of the hose then stop.
Old 01-19-2003, 20:11   #8 (permalink)
Hater-o-Head-Gaskets

cool, thanks for that Raptor

Old 01-19-2003, 22:44   #9 (permalink)

Try checking the sump for water with the oil. If its not hoses, it could be head or gasket. My EA had that problem when i just bought it...
Old 01-21-2003, 04:17   #10 (permalink)
Hater-o-Head-Gaskets

thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice, tonight we found the leak. It was coming from the metal pipe that starts on the left (from front) of the block and runs around the back which has a crack/hole in it. Finally managed to catch the thing dripping... elusive little sucker I tell ya

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech