coolant leak , causes ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2003, 01:46   #1 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

coolant leak , causes ?

Sadly, I have some problem with my car, first thing I noticed was that the car's temperature gauge indicates a level mid way, which I understand is high for a falcon, I've always seen it is supposed to run just above the bottom line (around the A-L in 'normal' area, mine runs usually between R-M in 'normal'). It does also sometimes run higher briefly where I start to get nervous and pull over.

This may or may not be related, the air conditioner did not work, only blew out warm air. I took it to mr radiator and he said it was out of gas, as I suspected. He filled it with gas, charged me $121 and sent me on my way. It was reasonably cool for the day, but did not seem to be as cool as I would expect it to be, the next day it did not work at all but only blew out warm air.

The car is loosing coolant at a very fast rate, if you fill it with coolant in the evening the low coolant level light on the dash will appear the next evening as you are driving. When you take the coolant cap off it is easy to see that the coolant level has gone down greatly. I'd expect if I gave it another 24 hours without topping it up that the coolant level would be below visible level. I had the radiator professionaly taken out and cleaned, then refitted. They did a pressure test on the cooling system twice, all checked out fine.

The car does also appear to be leaking oil, can't find exactly where from but I think its in the front of the engine somewhere ( I don't know where exactly from) between the pulleys and the radiator. If any of you think you would know what the problem(s) im having here are your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
gmanEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2003, 01:49   #2 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Re: coolant leak , causes ?

If the coolant is not on the ground overnight, then internal leak, I would guess its going out the exhaust pipe, but maybe not through the oil, check the oil for the obvious white under the oil filler cap, how does the exhaust smell when the car is hot ??

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 02:14   #3 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

I havn't been able to see coolant on the ground in the morning, but I have a grass section I park on that it between two concrete strips, so if it was leaking there it would soak into the ground, I havn't been able to see wet patches in the morning... However I filled up the coolant this morning, if it leaks overnight maybe the coolant light will come on in the morning.

I havn't been able to see any white under the oil filler cap when I have looked, and I have looked a few times for it.

As for the exhaust smell, I havn't gone and smelt it when its hot... its not something I have thought of doing, perhaps Ill do that tomorrow when I get home from work quickly heh
Old 11-19-2003, 02:19   #4 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Yeah it will smell like burnt coolant, you will know the smell if it is going there.

Check the water pump, maybe a bolt is loose, causing coolant loss, and an oil leak ?

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 05:29   #5 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Coolant kills grass really well (and for ever) so if it was leaking on the grass you would soon know. Mid temp range is normal with the right coolant mix and a good new thermostat. Oil leak is probably the timing cover and is common.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:07   #6 (permalink)

gmanEA,

Check your radiator cap as well, a faulty one can let coolant escape.

Any white smoke out of exhaust in the morning or after sitting for 20 mins or so?

cheers
Old 11-20-2003, 01:41   #7 (permalink)
i'll pinch ya mums tyres

for $10 i would just get a new radiator cap..it cant hurt..and avoid that air cond repairer..my m8 paid $70 for a regas and $10 to fix the o-ring..its illegal to regas air con if it has a leak..so whoever regassed your air con is an idiot..if your air con is leakin that fast it should be easy to find the leak
Old 11-20-2003, 01:44   #8 (permalink)
cArSiK

could be the heater tap stuck open and leaking. I had a coolant leak from there and the a/c was constantly warm. Just to be sure , check it out....
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 01:51   #9 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

Ok, is it likely that the air con leak and the coolant leak are related ?? The air con guy did not know it had a leak, he just knew it was empty and regassed it, I did not know it had a leak either, im assuming that because it is no longer cold. Where is the heater tap ?
Old 11-20-2003, 01:59   #10 (permalink)
i'll pinch ya mums tyres

gmanea you say 'It was reasonably cool for the day,'after u got the regass..so i don't think it would be the heater tap stuck open and leaking as carsik said..but i could be wrong..if this were the case surely it would have stayed warm??..and if your a/c is empty it has to have a leak..sometimes a very small one that a/c guys can't always find..but it must be a big leak by the sound of it so should be easy to find by a reputable a/c dude

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech