Coolant problems on EF I6 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2004, 00:04   #1 (permalink)
Newbie #10458632

Read Coolant problems on EF I6

As the title suggests, I'm having problems with my coolant levels on my 1994 Ford EF Falcon GLi I6. The current coolant (or what's left) in the system is less than 5,000km's old and less than a couple of months old. I've had 3 problems with the cooling system since purchasing the car 10,000km's ago, these inlcude 2 hoses spliting and the thermometer busting. These have now been replaced and for a hundred or so kilometers everything was perfect.

But then the other day I notice my coolant was slightly low, so I topped it up and drove to a friends house. When reaching there and stopping, I noticed a few minutes later that coolant was comming out of the overflow pipe (the one that goes from the top of the coolant resovor to the drivers wheel hole thingo). I thought fair enough maybe I've been putting to much in. It spat out a fair bit, and I took note of the new level (once the car had cooled down). But then a day or two later the same thing happened, the car was parked on a slight minor incline, and it spat out more coolant (not nearly as much as last time).

I havn't been able to check the level since, but is there any reason why the coolant can be comming out of the over flow pipe? The car's temperature when driving sits betweem the A and M of 'NORMAL' (remember this is an EF, so for AU and similar drivers normal goes the opposite way) - which is fine.
twr7cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2004, 00:19   #2 (permalink)
Origi-Bulge (tm)

Re: Coolant problems on EF I6

When you say that it was a "bit down" how far down was that? You shouldnt fill your coolant right up to the top, or the system wont pressurize and the boiling point of the water/coolant will be lower.

What is the temp gauge doing now? if its still sitting between the A and M on the gauge i wouldnt really worry about it too much, just keep an eye on it. Obviously if it keeps spitting coolant everywhere everytime you stop, then have a decent look at.

In my opinion though, i wouldnt worry if my car spat out coolant after i just filled it up.

Dale

Cows would live a lot longer if they weren't made out of steak and leather
Klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 00:24   #3 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

i had an ea that did te exact same thing, i replaced the thermostat and it fixed it, did you replace the thermostat as well as the housing?

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 01:20   #4 (permalink)
Newbie #10458632

Read Re: Coolant problems on EF I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiX_iN_a_RoW
i had an ea that did te exact same thing, i replaced the thermostat and it fixed it, did you replace the thermostat as well as the housing?
Yeah, I replaced the thermostate. But the housing? No way, that'd be blody costly and a pain, just to verfiy were talking about the same thing (as you mention EA), I'll post a picture of the thermostate housing, it's circled in red.

Before I replaced the thermostate the car actually overheated once... It jsut wouldn't start on L.P.G. and the temperature gauge on the instrument cluster although still reading in the very high normal was the highest I have ever seen.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:23   #5 (permalink)
Newbie #10458632

Read Re: Coolant problems on EF I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klawsterfobik
When you say that it was a "bit down" how far down was that? You shouldnt fill your coolant right up to the top, or the system wont pressurize and the boiling point of the water/coolant will be lower.

What is the temp gauge doing now?

In my opinion though, i wouldnt worry if my car spat out coolant after i just filled it up.
Well it hasn't spat any more out since the second episode and it's been 500 kilometers and some longish drives since...

The temperature gauge is still constant and reading the same even though coolant is low in the resovour. When I say it was a bit down I mean it was about half way from the maximum line on the resovoir to the bottom of it.

I never fill the coolant past the maximum line which is slightly below the seal/rim of the top and bottom halfs of the resovour.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:41   #6 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Yeah thats the thermo housing, they are neither expensive or hard to replace tho hehe

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 02:40   #7 (permalink)
Still Dazed and Confused

Read this thread.

Cooling systrem: Whats causing this?

ps. The bit down the bottom.

If there's commotion coming from the passenger seat, and nothing but earth going round and round outside the windows,.......then everything is not as it seems!

The only time you have too much fuel, is when you're on fire!

Last edited by rossi; 03-11-2004 at 02:42.
rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 04:22   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I picked up a thermostat housing for $25 from a wrecker.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech