Ford Forums banner

cooler engine bay??

5K views 53 replies 15 participants last post by  Con 
#1 ·
Hi guys...I love jmm race series extractors ..they are great...But the engine bay temps are a bit high.Can we heat shield them.Put a fan on them?Or isolate the exhaust side of the engine to keep intake a bit cooler? I have been thinking about an intercooler as well..possibly water injection...what do you guys think?Any suggestions would be appreciated..

#2 ·
1. thermal wrap the headers
2. ceramic coat the pipes
3. add fluting or scoops to the bonnet to direct cool air over the pipes and force the warm air down under the car and out of the engine bay
4. design a heat sheild similar to the factory job that you would of taken off

#6 ·
intercooler on an NA car, dont get ppl started with this one.

As for underbonet temps, 99% of cars with extractors have no problems. You can rig up a heat shield, get the pipes HPC coated, use thermal wrap or use XR bonet vents, all of which will definatly help.

#7 ·
Walkinshaw said:
intercooler on an NA car, dont get ppl started with this one.

QUOTE]
Heheh..just checking my options champ...When I first became a member my idea of water injection or intercooling got shot down in flames..But regardless of those opinions my car and probably everyone elses car seems to run better cooler..So with all us guys here why has no one tried it???

2 months ago I challenged a different longstanding theory and proved it wrong...Do cars use more petrol when they are turned off at every red light???Well I was crazy enough to test this out..and guess what??35 -40% of peoples time is in standstill traffic!!!!!So after 1 week of absolute economy driving and turning off at evry traffic jam /red light ..I ended up doing around an extra 140 km above my best fuel consumption...so why not try it??

#16 ·
Thanks guys...I have had one mission all along...to keep the car looking standard.So I will give the bonnet scoops a miss.However as Walkinshaw has said and I agree with him power steering and the likes will need some protection...my power steering switch did leak from the heat ..it was abit old but it got me thinking that it would be a good idea..

#17 ·
TIKFD6 said:
It is bad when the engine wont heat up and it uses heaps of extra fuel.

It also comes down to my cooling system being totally new after the accident.
I put in a new thermostat and its still running cool.
I have a similar situation. No-one believes me though!!! It's crazy how they can run too cool with a working thermostat!

#18 ·
useless said:
Thanks guys...I have had one mission all along...to keep the car looking standard.So I will give the bonnet scoops a miss.However as Walkinshaw has said and I agree with him power steering and the likes will need some protection...my power steering switch did leak from the heat ..it was abit old but it got me thinking that it would be a good idea..

You dont want bonnet scoops, rather bonnet vents. A scoop will push more air into the engine bay, decrease the amount that will flow through the radiator and cause your engine to run hotter. A bonnet vent will allow the hot air building up in the engine bay to escae, and will allow more to flow through the radiator. I havent seen a bonnet vent on an AU and it think it could look pretty good (http://www.ssv.com.au/cache/item-15395public.html?cache=no).

If you get some of that heat wrap around the extractors it will keep it cool. I had a mate with a HZ Monaro where the extractors ran to close to the starter motor and kept melting the coils. $20 bucks worth of the stuff fixed the problem.

#23 ·
A bonnet vent will allow the hot air building up in the engine bay to escae, and will allow more to flow through the radiator. I havent seen a bonnet vent on an AU and it think it could look pretty good (http://www.ssv.com.au/cache/item-15...c.html?cache=no).

The EF/EL XR vents are pretty cool. There also some you can get off the fordmods site under their merchandising area. Similar to the EF/EL XR ones. About $120 or so dollars I think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.