Crate Engine - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2004, 21:38   #1 (permalink)

Crate Engine

Hey ppl,

I was searchin around the net and saw crate engines are pretty popular, i was wondering if there are any makers in Aus (syd preferably) and if they make ford i6 engines, how much it would cost, and what parts (i.e computer, pumps etc) id need to put it in, or would my EbII's parts work fine with it..
Adzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2004, 22:09   #2 (permalink)
EF & ZH owner

Re: Crate Engine

im don't know of any dealers in syd.. but, what will you be putting the I6 in? EB parts "should" work fine with it as the EB is a I6 aswell? What I6 are you looking for?

EF2 Futura - 2.5" zorst - K&N Filter - 3" intake - xr8 CAI - Wade 1004-14 Cam - Pacemaker PH4480 xtractors - 15" stockies

77 ZH Fairlane 500 - 302clevo - straight lpg - 12 slotters

God bless the lord, Henry Ford.
XCHASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 22:12   #3 (permalink)

Yeah I got a EbII gli, I was hopin for a custom I6 ford crate engine, then before it goes in the engine, custom exhasut, supercharger etc
Old 03-04-2004, 22:22   #4 (permalink)
EF & ZH owner

why not just rebuild the one in the EB? our you could always pick an EB engine up from the wreckers for around $600 with low k's or even better get an EF/L or AU one for about 1k. Im not sure whether they would deal in custom I6 engines.. Interesting to find out but!

rob

EF2 Futura - 2.5" zorst - K&N Filter - 3" intake - xr8 CAI - Wade 1004-14 Cam - Pacemaker PH4480 xtractors - 15" stockies

Old 03-04-2004, 22:49   #5 (permalink)

Cause my engines done 220k, and i know that a custom crate engine would kick its ass and cost far less then rebuilding and such...
Old 03-05-2004, 00:04   #6 (permalink)
EF & ZH owner

If your going to rebuild your engine it doesnt matter how many k's you have on it.. hehe
If you know what your doing and know people in the industry it works out fairly cheap. Let us know how you go with finding out about these 'custom crate' motors! :)

Old 03-05-2004, 01:02   #7 (permalink)

Will do, but the thing is if i rebuild my engine, which i probably will end up doing wif an arp race series rebuild...i'll still have the original engine with original probz, a new crate engine is NEW.....more value for money i say
Old 03-05-2004, 02:06   #8 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

What problems - if you do it up right you'll replace the pistons/rods anyway, and probably use an EL crank. You'll deck the block and rebore, possibly acid bath but at least a damn good clean.
So what problems will be left after this?? Did you crack the block or what?
Trust me, unless you've damaged the block/crank, stick with your old motor and do it up. It'll end up costing you less, particularly if you DIY, and you'll know exactly what went into it and the level of workmanship. You'd be surprised just how easy it is to build a motor at home!

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 02:28   #9 (permalink)

Can you come over and do the rebuild ur self, theres 50 bucks in it for ya
Old 03-05-2004, 02:36   #10 (permalink)

I agree with everything Mongrel_EB said. You can pick the shops that do your machining, you can specify the parts you want fitted, and you are 'in the loop' moreso than if buying a pre-reco engine from a shop. If you did it properly there would be no problems carried over from the old engine, and with a little balancing and careful assembly it'd be a better engine than the stocker ever was.

I don't know what kind of car/engine you have, but i don't think that you'd get a brand new block if you were to get a crate engine, probably just a cleaned up pre-loved block that is no different to your own ( providing you haven't cracked the bore wall or put a rod through the side of the block ).
st00pid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech