Ford Forums banner

Crow cam for EF 6cyl

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  roTor 
#1 ·
Hi to all
I was just reading the article on Crow cam's for 6cyl EF's at their web site and was wondering if anybody has one fitted.
I'm thinking of doing the swap.Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

BLU04L

#2 ·
hi there, yeah I had one fitted to my ef by herrods about 4 months ago..

definatley good bang for your buck...but i'd do the exhaust first to get the most benefits, also the standard computer will adapt to this cam, and that is how mine is running at the moment, I fanged it for a weekend after disconnecting teh battery for 5 mins for it to relearn the fuel/ignition settings.

going the unichip next to get the max out of it...another 8-10kw would be just nice.

the cam alone is around 8kw increase...but its more low down torque, and pull from 3,500 to redline you'll notice..

#4 ·
Hi Guys, I already had a 2.5in exhaust and extractors and I had a crow cam fitted to my EF. At the same time I had some port work done (mild) ,had the extractors and intake ported to match the gaskets, had larger exhaust valves put in and better valve springs. Other minor things were done also (new sparks indexed to exhaust valves and 9mm Leads)

I would have to say that the cam does increase power, however on my car it has left me with a huge power robbing rich bog in the middle of the rev range (2000-3500) which seriously kills off acceleration. The computer doesn't understand the new pressures in the manifold at these revs and in my case the computer has just opened the injectors to 100% duty from 2500 onwards, this has left me with an A/F ratio falling from about 12.5:1 to 10:1 at 2500 until 3500 where the injectors run out of flow and the power curve rises very sharply by about 35rwhp, I'm getting a computer to sort this out (Probably a haltech).

Just a word of warning about taking it too far with the standard computer, they run rich from the factory and mods such as exhaust and cam make them run slightly richer, then as the revs rise and the fuel flow runs out you get a leaner A/F ratio (still very rich tho) and thus extra power (Thats the car pulling hard at about 3500 onwards, its not the cam - the cam is in range from about 1800-5500). If you have a unichip you can gain a significant power gain from leaning out the A/F Ratio to about 13.2:1

I would personally go for fully programable sequential injection eg Haltech Motec Autronic and run it in tandem with your ford computer. Let the ford computer control the A/C C/C Auto-Trans etc and the Aftermarket Comp control Idle fuel and spark, besides if you plan on going radically further (Over-bore 10:1 comp or super/turbocharging) the fully programable management will come in very handy, and will get you a MUCH better state of tune, better fuel econ and power

Hrmmm gotten a little off track haven't I....Sorry : /

Oh and cost was about $2k with full rebuild of the head and aformentioned mods except the exhaust which cost another $600

Delta

#5 ·
Thanks roTor & Delta,
Crow cams will ship a cam to me for 400 bucks(I'm in Syd),they suggested Monro motors for fitting?have you guys or anybody heard of them?I've already got a set of Genies on,2 1/2 system with one resinator,3.23 diff, opened up the induction so it can suck air,I run Optimax so it goes reasonably well at the moment,enough to give this guy in an XU6 the shits.Does being an ex
cop car give it any variation in the engine management?

thanks BLU

#6 ·
kewl, you should see good gains in rwkw with that cam then, like mentioned by delta, the fords do run a little rich, but i was told by herrods that this cam takes advantage of this by leaning it of when the cam comes in...I agree the aftermarket computer or piggyback unichip is the best way to unleash all of its potential, I do feel mine is a little rich down low, but kicks in great above 3000 rpm..

If your car is ex police, it should have a higher shift point for the auto, and a firmer crisper shift mode...i believe the shiftpoint was increased to 5,950...but on the dyno i think you'll find the power has dropped off by then..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.