Depressing Fuel Economy (EL Fairmont) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2004, 01:33   #1 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

Depressing Fuel Economy (EL Fairmont)

hello all

Im a bit cranky right now. My EL had shocking fuel economy (due to what I thought was a rooted exhaust) so I saved up my pennies (pretty hard to due living in sydney as an apprentice) and threw a set of pacemakers and 2.5in exhaust on it

My old EA went from 350k's a tank city to 500 when i did a similar mod (ie the exhaust)

I have also changed the oil, air filter and fuel filter. I then filled it up with a full tank or Ultimate and a little Nulon injector cleaner (the car has done 220 000 k's....not sure if the injectors have ever been looked at) and thought it would the end of my dramas.

Well....after driving relatively sedatley i managed to get 180k's out of the first half of the tank, trip computer says an average of 19L/100k's. And its breaking my heart as well as my wallet. (the full tank of premo cost me 70 odd bucks)

Rang my uncle in Rockhampton who is a service manager for Ford, he suggested thermostat, MAP sensor and plumbing, and fuel pressure may be the cause. Im pretty sure my thermostat is ok, I think it was replaced about a year ago, and the car doesnt seem to run cold. I disconnected the MAP sensor, and it ran like a bucket of crap, so i know thats working, and the line to it has no obvious splits or anything. The fuel pressure i cannot check at home, but he was saying there is a screen near the fuel rail that sometimes can get blocked and cause a increase in fuel pressure therfore using more fuel....obviously the thing is running rich, but doesnt blow smoke. It does leave a good bit of black crap on my chrome exahust tip though

Im sick and tired of playing with it, so i was just thinking about taking it to Ford to plug in the Diagnostic computer and do a test of all sensors, check fuel pressure as well as timing. Has anyone had this done before? How much did it cost? the uncle is trying to get me a contact at Ford here in sydney but im wanting to know roughly what I'll be up for

and if anyone has any other ideas before i go bananas, please let me know

Cheers

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2004, 02:36   #2 (permalink)

Re: Depressing Fuel Economy (EL Fairmont)

yeah i got a similar problem with my car as well but im getting 17.6L/100km its not 19 but its just as bad. Ive also been wanting to take it to ford for them to do a diagnostics on it just never had a chance to give them a ring to get a price. might do it monday morning. im pretty sure its not expensive to do a test on it.
EAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 02:59   #3 (permalink)
known as tibbo

180k from 1/2 tank so thats around 360km a tank... i get 350 out of 65 litres of LPG.. There is a serious problem, when you got the zorst done did you get a new cat because at 200k the factory one wouldn't be the best...
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 03:46   #4 (permalink)
It's All Good!

My cars fuel economy just went shithouse too all of a sudden. Running very rich and leaving the exhuast tip very black. Got 250km to the first half of the tank, and only another 150 for the rest.
I suspect the oxygen sensor in the exhuast on mine as I unplugged it and it ran the same.
I suspect this might be your issue too, it may have been damaged when putting the new extractors in. So take the car for a drive to warm it up, then unplug the 02 sensor and see if it makes a difference. If it's not that than maybe the temperature sensor (which IS different to the temperature sender). It might be telling the computer the car is running cold all the time, even though your dash is telling you its warm.
Anyway, I'll be putting on a high flow cat, new 02 sensor and pacemaker ph4480 extractors very soon because I cant stand how the fuel economy is right now!
Voxace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 04:41   #5 (permalink)
Jim Mock You Rock

Widen your spark plug gaps to 1.4mm and see if it makesa difference!!!
useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 06:07   #6 (permalink)
EMW ??? Whats missing ?

i hate it how fuel costs money, these cars can be great on fuel on long trips, but around town :<:<:<:<:<:<:<
3.7 lsd
AU bottem end
ELXR6 ported Head
PH4480 Pacemakers
INJECTED250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 21:37   #7 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

thanks guys

yes i did get a new cat when i got the exhaust done. And i am hoping if the temp sensor or the oxy sensor are stuffed the ford diagnostic will pick it up. I still may disconnect the oxy sensor myself and see how it goes

I reset the computer over the weekend, will see how it goes the next few days (not expecting much difference though)

Cheers

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 22:05   #8 (permalink)
He without "fastness"

if im hammering the engine and have high revs most of the time, is there going to be a HUGE difference in fuel usage??

Coming Mods: Multipoint Fuel, 5spd conversion.

The worlds most effective pickup line: Hey, can you tell me if you think that this rag smells like chloroform?
SoulReaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 22:20   #9 (permalink)

I've got the same problem with my EF Fairmont

I replaced oil, oil filter, and thermostat with no improvement

I also did a diagnostic thing myself but reported no errors

Getting the injectors carbon cleaned for $120 next week so hopefully thats the problem
mute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 23:47   #10 (permalink)

id be interested in your results on getting injectors cleaned been thikin that my prob too
wacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech