Which DEV upgrade? Opinions please... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2004, 08:00   #1 (permalink)
Krissy

Which DEV upgrade? Opinions please...

Hi all...

Jim (from JMM) was kind enough to get back to me (with suggestions and prices) on some questions I had about upgrading my DEV1. I'd like some opinions on which way to go. My options are:

1) Upgrade to DEV3HL
2) Upgrade to DEV4
3) Upgrade to 3HL with UniChip
4) Upgrade to DEV4 with UniChip

Those are my 4 choices. I can pretty much guarentee you's that it won't be Option #4 coz that's alotta money to be spent their lol but the other's are all within budget.

What I also need to know before I decide is will having the UniChip fitted play havoc with my petrol needle? I mean, can I expect to go through alot more fuel with it fitted or is it actually economical? And finally, what are everyone's opinions on both the DEV4 and the 3HL please...

AU_Fairmont -S- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2004, 09:06   #2 (permalink)

Re: Which DEV upgrade? Opinions please...

Hopefully next year I'll be getting the DEV3HL with Unichip kit so if anyone knows the answer to the petrol question it would be greatly appreciated.
By the way Krissy, I've done alot of mods on the car with a few more to come in the next couple of weeks. I'll send you some pics soon.
carratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 12:04   #3 (permalink)

Well I am happy with my DEV3HL with no unichip yet. As per the sig I have run from 138-142rwkw on various dyno's and I haven't got the JMM Race series just pacemakers.

In Sydney I get 380-420Km a tank 65-68L. Economy is Quite good still and on the highway intercaptal driving I still get 650K a tank.

The low cost interesting choice might be the DEV4 though as useless got 150rwkw with one with JMM race series and importantly no Heavt duty valve springs which makes it much cheaper and easier to install. Askk JMM about that though as I found the AU Springs pretty weak.

For an auto daily driven car the Dev3HL does idle pretty well and thats why I went for it as I didn't want to spoil the car by going too big in the cam. Most people make this mistake and I used to do it too when younger. The biggest cam may be nice for 1% of the time on the track but if you sit in traffic idling for 10% of your driving time then this might not be as much fun as you think.
I once had a chrysler by Chrysler 360 Auto that I had to knock into neutral at every set of lights as it wouldn't idle. Too big a cam!!! Just be homest with yourself about what you want and ask Brendan or Jim. They will talk to you and although I don't always believe every word they are genuinely helpful people.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:41   #4 (permalink)
BOFH

Get the streetfirghter kit Krissy, best bang for the buck. Basically the dev 4 cam, unichip is not needed.
For the record, a unichip or Chiptorque chip will actually improve economy. Since the Fords come out of the factory running rich the fine tune these chips allow actually remove this and you get a far more accruate mix. If anything, with todays fuel prices, the chips would eventually pay for themselves in fuel economy (if you dont flog your car as much as I do)

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 15:53   #5 (permalink)
Loco

Why would you get the Streetfighter kit for $4950, when the Dev4 kit produces more power for less? According to the site, neither include unichip.
Bangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 16:04   #6 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers
Why would you get the Streetfighter kit for $4950, when the Dev4 kit produces more power for less? According to the site, neither include unichip.
Well, considering Krissy already has most of the Streetfighter kit on her Dev1 setup, it is not going to cost her anywhere near that. Basically, all she needs is the Dev4 cam. No major head work, no long engine,no springs.. Just the cam.

Old 11-01-2004, 19:09   #7 (permalink)
Jim Mock You Rock

Casper.I think the dev 4 streetfighter does need the head off.However as I have proven in the past putting in the dev4 cam into my dev 1 setup got me 150rwks.So I can safely bet that the standard head is good for around 150rwks.
I was told 140 rwks but that was not the case in my situation.
useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 19:14   #8 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Casper.I think the dev 4 streetfighter does need the head off.However as I have proven in the past putting in the dev4 cam into my dev 1 setup got me 150rwks.So I can safely bet that the standard head is good for around 150rwks.
I was told 140 rwks but that was not the case in my situation.
That why I think its the best bang for the buck. I know that if there was something like it for the VCT I'd be saving the pennies to get one myself.

Old 11-01-2004, 20:27   #9 (permalink)
Dev 5 Mutant

As per the sig with just a unichip and exhaust I'm up to 141.6rwkw.

My opinion would be the dev 4 cam by itself. Useless got 150rwkw without the headwork so for a small outlay of $490 that sounds like good value to me. Add the unichip on top and you may get even more.

If the budget allows def go the Unichip. My g/f thought the fuel guage wasn't working correctly but I can assure you after driving the car all over the w/e that it won't affect it. The unichip will also address any probs that you may encounter with the change in idle/lack down low. The difference in the Unchip was like when you first get your stock car and add on an exhaust. It's just so much better.

The Dev3HL and dev 5 need the heavy duty springs which, if ur on a budget, are just another thing you need to save for.

I'm really tempted at the moment to do the above setup myself but I so want the dev5 instead....
Cam install by Crescent Motorsport, Liverpool

Dyno

Timeslip
loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 20:32   #10 (permalink)
Loco

How does the unichip effect the car? What does it actually? Jsut piggy back the ECU to give more precise mix ratio's?
Bangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech