Dipstick! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2003, 01:22   #1 (permalink)
Black 200kw wheel barrow

Dipstick!

no im not a dipstick!

i noticed this arvo a hissing noise (as in an air leak) coming from out of the engine oil dipstick tube on my AU. It was DEFINATELY coming from here, i could stop it and start it by moving the dipstick around in the tube!

and thats the thing, the dipstick itself has ALOT of movement in the tube itself, the yellow handle has one o-ring on it, it looks like there should be one further up at the top of where the handle sits in the tube

can anyone verify if there are more than one o-ring and/or if there is much play in it once the stick is put right back in?

cheers

Old 09-06-2003, 05:59   #2 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Re: Dipstick!

What sort of a hiss, does not sound right at all!
Is it suction or pressure? Put your finger over the end and see...also how hard is it, this is definitely not right.

Don't want to be alarmist, but I have a nasty suspicion you might be getting crankcase compression?

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 11:22   #3 (permalink)

Well I pulled my dipstick and had a good look,there is only one o-ring halfway on the yellow bit.Can move dipstick around in the hole a bit,not a tight or even firm fit.Started car,no hiss,pulled dipstick out,no noise,no pressure,nothing,are you sure it is from the dipstick and not a leaky inlet manifold?
Not much help I know but have not struck this before.
Old 09-06-2003, 13:05   #4 (permalink)

What's the state of the PCV system?
Old 09-08-2003, 04:33   #5 (permalink)

Done a bit more talking today and have a couple more suggestions.Blocked PVC valve,blocked breather hose at rear of rocker cover or worst case rings on the way out.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:39   #6 (permalink)
Black 200kw wheel barrow

thanks for that taximan
only did it the once and i havent heard it again

i did notice the 'breather hose' had a kink in it when i was pulling some stuff apart to paint the engine bay (my breather hose goes from back of rocker cover and makes its way all the way down to the bottom left hand corner of the car behind the bumper to an oil catch can then back up to the intake pipe), looks like when the suspension guys had taken a few things away to get to the suspension points in the engine bay they had kinked the hose, have re-routed it a bit now to remove any sharp corners and it seems fine

crisis over it seems

thanks again
Old 09-08-2003, 04:41   #7 (permalink)
Black 200kw wheel barrow

p.s. still VERY surprised at the flimsiness of the dipstick in the tube
Old 09-08-2003, 05:01   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalKeen
thanks for that taximan
only did it the once and i havent heard it again

i did notice the 'breather hose' had a kink in it when i was pulling some stuff apart to paint the engine bay (my breather hose goes from back of rocker cover and makes its way all the way down to the bottom left hand corner of the car behind the bumper to an oil catch can then back up to the intake pipe), looks like when the suspension guys had taken a few things away to get to the suspension points in the engine bay they had kinked the hose, have re-routed it a bit now to remove any sharp corners and it seems fine

crisis over it seems

thanks again
That's what it sounds like,blocked breather hose,built up pressure,released thru dipstick.Glad its nothing to serious.The dipstick is a bit on the flimsy side but as it is only used to check oil level,Ford decided to make it cheap.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech