Ford Forums banner

Does this sound right? Clamied Dyno HP?

6K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  needturbo6 
#1 ·
I just got the Dyno power from my car today, I am not sure if it is right?

I have a 1996 Ford EL Falcon XR6 5sp
SS Inductions cold air intake
Holly Air Filter
Machined out Throttle Boddy
$25 each spark plugs
Port and Polished head with 40 tho shaved off
Stage 3 Crow cam with heavy duty valve springs and Vernier gear
Pacemaker Extractors with a 2.5 ince exhaust with high flow cat and 1 strait through Lukey race muffler
I ran flat 15.0 at the drags but with really pissy launces, like 2000rpm

Just got a Unichip installed with a Dyno tune.
It put out 182hp at the wheels.

Is it just me or is that low?
Did I miss something?

#3 ·
140 odd rwkw is a fair result.

I have had 120-138 and 142rwkw from different dyno's so I would say it sounds at the low end of what you would expect.

I would say you should be getting 140-160rwkw.

Flat 15's for a 5 speed tell me it is low though as I have seen 140rwkw 5 speeds run 14.7 and easy 14.9's consistently.

#5 ·
ive only got 125rwkw, and the chip is located to the left of where the front passangers left foot goes.

#6 ·
137rwkw is what I got.
Thing is that I have spent over $5000 on HP mods alone
I wish there was somthing like Jim Mork and Dev kits over here in WA
how much for a Dev5a kit? I could have driven to the eastern states, got work there done, drove back, saved money and had heaps more power!

I am starting to wonder if the cam I asked for is in, and weather any head work was really done.

#7 ·
you can mail order the JMM gear if you wanted too. If the headwork was flow bench tested and proven to be good then I would mail order a dev5 cam from JMM and see if a cam swap will get the power up. DEV5 falcon sixes with mods like yours I have seen pull 161-174rwkw on dyno's and run 14.4 for the qtr

#8 ·
Power level seems about right to me.

If you were expecting more power then I think the cam is your problem. I havent seen anyone who has managed BIG power with the crow stage 3 (decent power yes, but not more than 150rwkw on a dyno I trust). I would look at getting something bigger in there.

Also quite a few of your mods aren't going to be getting you any more power. I have similar mods to you and I tried big throttle bodies and different types of intakes but they didnt have any affect on the power line. I have a 70mm thottle body I spent a few hundred $ on which sits on my book case at home because it doesnt do jack.

I would suggest a call to wade and have a chat about cam profiles. I would be looking at something around the size of a 1521a (similar to your cam but bigger on the exhaust side). A billet cam will cost you about $390 and I think you can get a custom grind for about $50 more. Either that or get a dev4/5 sent over for around $500.

#10 ·
My AU XR6 got 146rwkw with exhuast, headers, unichip, T series intake. Your figures sounded about right. My best in that combo was a 14.68 qtr.

I'm now running a dev5 cam (but not the headwork needed) and the above combo and am on 150.3rwkw. Not much more than the prev peak figure but I know I should knock quite a bit of time off my prev figure. The cam makes such a big diff.

Just mail order the kit from JMM like I did if ur keen..

However if it was me I'd probably look at getting a Unichip fitted BUT don't get that until ur happy with ur combo in ur car otherwise you'll need to retune it if/when you change your cam. The Unichip makes a hell of a difference.

#11 ·
i got a 5 speed with 140 rwkw, so i may be able to run high 14 then

#12 ·
mr el xr6 hows it feel in the reel world?lined any decent cars up at the lights ?
if you have had the head done get a jmm dev 4 or 5 cam they cost about $490 plus post assuming got the bigger valve srings and vernier gear already .
fitted the dev 4 cam to our au2 s 5spd and goes like stink ,still with stock head no porting. got lukey headers and 21/2 zorst and jmm cold air kit .
it will stick with a vy ss auto to 120kph no worries (didnt want to push it past that )nearly the same with xr6t probably get a quarter pannel on me.
i think stage 3 crow with extactors and 21/2 zorst is only good for about 20 rwk but then again probably wich dyno you put it on
catch ya jake

#13 ·
Thanks for the help people.
My car has not yet lost to a single 6cyl commadoore. It feels great up top, and since the Unichip is good again down low. Feels faster than my old mans XR8 Rebel
Dead even with a STI WRX, Raced a gen111 VY ute, started in the same lane, just behind him, had 2 car lenghts at 100k/hr, the drafted him to 180 pulled out and began to pass, lost the draft and could not over take him.

I might go a pod inside the air box and 3" piping to the throttle body.
Then Order a dev5 cam with Auto light plugs.
Anybody now of a good place to get it installed in perth? and Dyno tune the unichip?

#16 ·
flkn tuff 132 at the treads sounds excellent for just exhaust mods .
i to have au 2 spack before i fitted jmm gear (cam cold air)just runnin with lukey headers and 21/2 zorst and k&n filter it would keep 5l ss commy no worries even done a couple of au xr8 utes .
it would be interesting to see the difference between stock au and el on same dyno .used to own el futura 5spd compared to the AUII. The AUII defenatly pulled harder
any one else got any thoughts on that?
catchya jake

#17 ·
MrMercury, what cam did you get for your car?

I'm considering some sort of a Crow cam but don't know which one to go for. They have a Torque cam with power range 900 - 3500 rpm and a Mild performance cam with power range 1000 - 3800 rpm.

As for the difference between AU and EF/EL, i think the AU pulls a lot harder than the E series. I also own an EF and it doesn't go even near as hard as the AU. I also noticed that the AU engine runs a lot smoother than the EF and is a lot happier in the high revvs too.

All in all, they're both great cars and I'm pretty happy with both of them.

:hy:

Regards,
Alex

#18 ·
sounds just a bit low...

my EF 6 has been converted to 5 spd with a recent heavy duty clutch installed....,crow cam stage 2... ported and polished with brass valve sleevs ($1000) early mod. xr6 head conversion... 2.5 inch exhaust.. extractors... billet vernier cam gear... 186rwhp.. (135rwkw) on dynomax dynometre.. :driver: :hy:

#19 ·
I'm new to the forum but i've found it very interesting so far.
The XG has an ED engine in it and mine's virtually stock, all internals anyway.
It's got pacemaker headers, lukey straight through muffler and all connected up with 2.5 inch s/steel pipes. Orig. cat (about $700.00 all-up)
On the other side there's a pod filter with heat shielding around it so it get's cold air and a bit of a ram effect at speed, and a 4 inch s/steel pipe between the pod and the intake manifold replacing the original plastic pipe with an internal diameter of about 1.5 inches. ($300.00)

The CAI was done by Genie and part of their service is a Dyno run. I was surprised to see that after spending a total of about $1000.00 on power mods my car is producing 142.4rwkw (191.0hp)
well at least that's what their dyno said.

#20 ·
my car made about 148rwkw at the treads and did a 14.502 quarter at the start of last year, with very very hard launches - 1.9sec 60ft

its an EB XR6 manual, full 2.5" mandrel bent legal exhaust with the old style JMM extractors, 3.9LSD, surecam regrind with vernier gear (retarded 2 degrees) bp ultimate, stock computer, 18 degrees base timing and the normal EB fuel pressure reg (250-300kpa - the XR6s run 300-350) head has never been off the car, its still on the factory head gasket now.

so i reckon they should be able to get more out of your combo, if my car can theoreticaly outgun you with less mods...in the above tune i could nail the throttle in first gear at 2500rpm and the rear tyres would break traction to the redline...(235/47/17s)

#22 ·
yeah it was turning over at about 5200rpm as i crossed the line i think, and max power was 4800 or something...cant remember. i really dont think it was the gear changes man, i can slam them home with the best of them, even if i do say so myself.

and i also did about 5 passes under 14.6 that night so that run wasnt a fluke.

i changed the setup a lot just after i ran those times, it hasnt quite got back to how it used to be. no matter, boost glorious boost will whisk me down the track soon :)

#25 ·
brenx: i think with 3.45s my 60ft would have got worse - i never actually checked of course, but i think that with 3.9s my 1st gear ends at like 60.5 feet :p

on the nite i did those times i was pretty much dropping the clutch at about 3000/3500rpm and the car was just launching like a cat with a boot up its ass - the grip was truly phenominal, i was expecting to smash the gearbox or snap an axle every time i launched...

#26 ·
It may not have helped the 60ft's but it would have prevented you from running out of rpm. Probably would be less than one tenth difference. The last thing you want is to run out of rpm and damaging the engine bu over reving it trying to complete a pass. Best to keep within safe workable limits and the power range ;)

http://home.iprimus.com.au/bwill/valves.jpg <-- thats what over reving does. $2500 later I had the heads back on the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.