Dyno after mods[3.9 head] - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2002, 08:03   #1 (permalink)

Dyno after mods[3.9 head]

117 kw at the wheels. This was after a cold air setup was installed. The motor was only reved to 4200 as I had warned the operator about my dodgy lifters. This was in 3rd gear at 130 kmh. I still seem to have too much valve train noise which Im hoping can be transformed into more power when it is sorted out.
The cold air setup is not pretty; a 90 mm stainless pipe from the front side of the air box[EA] above the filter, with a gentle 90 degree bend exiting inside the top front of the wheel arch. Im thinking about fabricating a scoop setup facing forward... somehow.
Does any one know if a lower diff ratio[3.23] would give a different rear wheel kw reading, as the dyno's are speed limited?
Anyway, Im nearly ready to take the old beast to the Motorplex for a proper thrash. Any guessing at the times Ill get?
Thanks for your time,
Kev.
Kevs EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2002, 09:38   #2 (permalink)

What did the dyno graph look like? Was it still pulling at 4200rpm?

If its manual you should get into the 15s easy
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 17:31   #3 (permalink)

Martin, the graph was still going uphill but had started to level off a bit at 120 kmh. I suspect it may have gone marginally higher but not much. The chart had no rpm, only kw, km/h and torque. Between 98[about 3000 rpm] and 116 km/h[about 3700 rpm] was peek torque at 795 ft/lb, whatever that is in newton metres. The rpm is an estimate. Its actually more like 4100 at 130 km/h. [157 hp]. My EA ghia tacho can be + or - 100 rpm from one moment to the next.
15's. Thats not enough. It's never enough.
Kev.
Old 12-02-2002, 17:41   #4 (permalink)
Rehab is for Quitters

Kev, what'd you do to your (cylinder) head, and what'd it cost?
Old 12-02-2002, 21:43   #5 (permalink)

rextus, the head had a port job, not too much but mainly behind the valves. This was done by a bloke with a lot of experience so I left it to him. A bit of a shave and larger valves with bronze valve guides. This head should handle any future mods later on.
Cost ... including head: $1400. The cam was $300, one of only two around aparrently. This was all done in one day as the work was all done beforehand.
Kev.
Old 12-02-2002, 21:57   #6 (permalink)

If it makes any difference, looking at my dyno sheet, mine is making around the same power, maybe a little more at that RPM, and goes on to make 127RWKW at ~4600Rpm.
A few weeks after that dyno I realised the dizzy cap and rotor were shithouse, and the injectors need a clean.

If your is auto though, then your loosing around 10RWKW extra through the drivetrain.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 01:35   #7 (permalink)
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA

Location: gold coast and off playing with 32psi of boost pumping into 4.1lt of pure ohc feralness and developing a 350hp n/a kit for ea-au i6, also making 5.0lt gear soon enuf
i have a very good cam custom ground and pacemakers with 2/12 inch high flow cat and straight through mandrell system on my ea mpfi besides that evry thing else is stock
its manual and i have 3.23 diff
i clock 15.33 with wheelspin and go through the trapps @ 145 kmph in 4rth gear it that helps ya

1000hp is underway. rods,pistons here!! t88 on its way!!
gm dstroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 02:17   #8 (permalink)

Martin and gm destroya, what grind are your cams, if you dont mind me asking. How do your cam grinds compare to mine? If you are familiar with my postings that is.
Incidently, heard of a bloke who re programs GM computors with his lap top [v6 and v8]. He allegedly gets up to 30 % more power. With mine he would replace the ford unit with a GM unit so his magical program will do its thing. Im big Kev and Im excited! Anybody have any feedback on that one? Ive got no idea of cost etc.
Kev.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:27   #9 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

i dunno about fitting a commo computer to your falcon, seems like sacralige to me, but if its in the persuite of hp then concessions have to be made...at least if you fit a gm computer then you can fit a knock sensor and run a little more timing.

Damn Ford why cant they make a computer thats easy to play with!!!!!!

also, how long after you fitted the head did you dyno it? the same day or what?

if it was really soon after then flog it for a few days then take it back, you should get a few more hp once the computer has sorted itself out properly

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 02:32   #10 (permalink)
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA

Location: gold coast and off playing with 32psi of boost pumping into 4.1lt of pure ohc feralness and developing a 350hp n/a kit for ea-au i6, also making 5.0lt gear soon enuf
I'd be a little doubtfull of this guys claims of 30%power increase
there would have to be a hole host of changes made to the engine to gain that much power.
as for cam specs im not willing to give out the specs publicly cos its a custom grind and works very well.

1000hp is underway. rods,pistons here!! t88 on its way!!
gm dstroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech