Ford Forums banner

EA 3.9mpi / EA S Factory Cams

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  partsguy 
#1 ·
ED Futura posted in "EA Ss are pretty quick" on 29-5-01 about SS Falcons and possibly different factory cams for EA S's with 2 degree retarded timing.

I've tried local Ford dealers and there's only one listing for 3.9mpi cams, and only one ECU for both GL & S pack.

I've been looking at putting a Crow 285 cam in my S, but if the cam in it is already improved the Crow cam might not be all that much of an improvement.

Anybody got any more information that might establish whether or not the EA S Series 1 had a better cam than the GL, and how to identify it if it exists?

Also, what's the difference between the early XR6 and EA S cams in timing and lift, and what do the XR6 valve springs add to the basic motor?

#2 ·
EA S

As far as I know the EA S Falcon came with an unmodified 3.9 MPI motor. All the engine specs i've seen for an EA S are just the standard 3.9 MPI specs. It wasn't until the EBII XR6 that there was a sports falcon with a more powerful version of the straight 6.

#3 ·
We have checked the specs on EF std cams and found them to be almost the same as EB/ED XR cams....Have put one in a std 4.0 EB and the car kicked arse. cost a lot less than EB XR6 cam...tried an EF XR6 cam, but with the different induction system it left the car with some really abd flat spots...not sure if the same cam would work for a 3.9 but there is no reason not to try

#5 ·
Mate, the best way to check it is to yank the cam out of your falcon, then yank the cam out of another EA, and compare the lobes on them - if Ford did lob a hotshot EA like an XA RPO83 onto the market, then it would be all over the magazines like a rash - just in time for the next generation of P-Platers!

#6 ·
I've just got back from holiday.

My EA/EB/EBII/ED factory workshop manual states that the "SS" Falcon has "a unique cam drive gear" - which I've been reliably informed simply retarded the cam a couple of degrees.

Initially I took that to mean that they were talking about the Falcon S, but a couple of guys pointed out that initially Ford did release or at least came close to releasing a pre-XR6 car labelled "SS". That's NOT the same as the Falcon S so in that respect I was talking thru my arse - sorry :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.