EA block in Ef falcoon - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2004, 05:04   #1 (permalink)

EA block in Ef falcoon

Oh guys here is teh deal:

I got an EF falcon engine with over 800thou ks on it ... i also got an EA block here which is in pretty good nick with only 250thou ks on it. So i am thinking of rebuilding teh ea block from scratch with teh ea pistons, crank and rods using new piston rings etc etc ... but bolting the EF gear onto it, which is sump, heads, timing gear, water pump, oil pump, aircon comp, and everything else ...

no the question is, will everything bolt up no worries? like did teh block change at all over those years or are all teh parts interchangeable?

anything to look out for?

cheers
mic

Old 03-10-2004, 05:22   #2 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Re: EA block in Ef falcoon

Basically yes.
But you might want to check as putting the EA block, will change the engine number, and im pretty sure you cant put in an engine thats older than the car.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 05:25   #3 (permalink)

mhm thast funny ... teh older engine is in better nick and "safer" than teh newer one but u r not allowed to do it lol ...

i thought it only becomes important when u change capacity
Old 03-10-2004, 05:27   #4 (permalink)
I want my brothers car.

sorry i don't know too much about swapping engines.....but i was wondering what you've done to the AU to run the 15.6 ?

(OFR #10)
BF F6 Auto APS PHASE 3 11.44@125.7MPH Autotech Edit Tuned
Hamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 05:30   #5 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

But if your going to o the motor up anyway, why not do up the EF angine?
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 05:36   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIKFD6
But if your going to o the motor up anyway, why not do up the EF angine?

good point ... i havent cracked the motor open yet ... so i dont whatthe internal look like ... i know it has been driven on cracked head gasket for a while, hence it hasnt been lubricated for a while ... this is just hypothetical atm ... if the block of the ef is worse nick than the ea ... i would say it would be better to use the ea block ... also the crank, pistons and conrods of teh ef have quite a few more ks on it than the ea ones ... how about i just use those ... ???
Old 03-10-2004, 05:47   #7 (permalink)
Powered by HAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIKFD6
Basically yes.
But you might want to check as putting the EA block, will change the engine number, and im pretty sure you cant put in an engine thats older than the car.
Why cant you put in an older block? I have...

As for the differences in the blocks themselves, not much externally was changed except for the knock sensor mounting so everything should bolt up fine.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:35   #8 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

You'll need to tap into the EA block as it has no provisions for a knock sensor. Also, putting an EF head onto an EA block will slightly lower compression as the EA pistons are dished and make up for it with a lump in the combustion chamber on the head, while the EF does not have this. Not sure if it would be noticable, just some food for thought. You'll prolly run into problems with putting an older engine in though, not sure what's the go legally were your from..

Other than that, everything bolts on perfectly, I've personally converted the whole front pulley setup and BBM manifold from an EF onto an EA block..
Old 03-10-2004, 17:27   #9 (permalink)

ok since we gonna rebuild it from scratch how about using ea crank, ea rods and ef pistons ... that will solve the compression problem and there shouldnt be any clearance probs in teh head as it will be an EF one.

As for putting an older engine in, i dont see much of a prob, as basically gonna be ef gear, except the block itself. Can you see on the engine number what year it is. Coz we have only a form up here to fill out to change the details in vehicles database at the DOT and i dont believe the chicks at the DOT are smart enough to know what number is what ...

Oh BTW what oil pump would u use? the EA one or the EF one? The ea one is powered by the extension of dizzy, where as EF has coil packs ... and diff there?

BTW this is in QLD
Old 03-10-2004, 20:33   #10 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

Why dont you wake up and get a Holden? :wgaf: have a look at the history and you will see that Holden has such a better record than Ford ...dont worry about the flame war...history has the facts Ford boys.

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech