Ford Forums banner

EA - Dash fault light & fuel pump

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  rawlinna 
#1 ·
Folks, 2 things.

1) I'm getting the following light on my dashboard and I'm assuming it's the water level of the radiator but each time I check it's bang on perfect level so dunno what the light is trying to say.

2) My fuel pump is getting noisier and noisier as time goes on. It would only make a buzzing sound as the fuel levels dropped into the last quarter on the fuel level meter on the dash but now it's buzzing all the way from full to empty. I'm also noticing the car drinking more. Are these related and what needs to be done about it?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Nup..its not the sender its the gears in your pump.OR...You may have to take it out and check the hoses on the pump are not split or have come loose .When it does the whining noise gets louder.It happened to me log time ago.If not get yourself a new fuel pump before the gears stop pushing fuel through or worse ...break.In our pumps the gears are made of plastic.Happened to me twice.It happens also when fuel get really low in the tank and the pump has to work harder because the volume of fuel in the tank assists the fuel pump by its pressure in the tank.It is normal when fuel gets ultra low for the sound to happen but not full..hope this helps..

#5 ·
Problem 1
Its the temp sender (it is saying car overheated), does the temp gauge work?
the sender in the overflow bottle will only tell you if the coolant level is low.

Would cause overfuel with fault tempo sensor maybe and explain extra fual use as well.

the temp sender is located at the thermostat housing.

Jason

#6 ·
Dellboy999 said:
Problem 1
Its the temp sender (it is saying car overheated), does the temp gauge work?
the sender in the overflow bottle will only tell you if the coolant level is low.
Temp gauge working fine. Car temperature is normal. Sits on about 'O' after fully warmed up.

Also, the light comes on a few seconds after I first start the car in the morning so it's definitely not reporting the car is overheating.

Dellboy999 said:
Would cause overfuel with fault tempo sensor maybe and explain extra fual use as well. the temp sender is located at the thermostat housing.
Not that I know alot about these cars but why would a faulty temp sensor cause more fuel to be used. I can understand about a faulty oxygen sensor.

Thanks again,
Steve

#7 ·
I think the problem with the light on the dash is the low coolant sensor is shagged. The light is saying that the coolant is low, that's because the sender in the coolant bottle has a plastic float attached to it, after time the plastic deteriorates and crumbles, so the float no longer floats! Instead it fills up with water and sinks, therefore turning the low coolant light on.

As for the extra fuel consumption, it could be several things. As Dellboy has said it could be the temp sensor, if it's stuffed the car stays in cold start mode, therefore pumping more fuel in to try and warm the car up. Other things to look at are the thermostat, MAP sensor and HEGO sensor as well as things such as plugs, leads, fuel filter and air filter.

Daniel

#8 ·
AUII_Forte said:
I think the problem with the light on the dash is the low coolant sensor is shagged. The light is saying that the coolant is low, that's because the sender in the coolant bottle has a plastic float attached to it, after time the plastic deteriorates and crumbles, so the float no longer floats! Instead it fills up with water and sinks, therefore turning the low coolant light on.
Hmm, ok riddle me this, is it referring to the level being low by way of depth or the level being low by way of coolant content within the water. Last I checked it was just water and not much coolant but the levels were fine.

AUII_Forte said:
As for the extra fuel consumption, it could be several things. As Dellboy has said it could be the temp sensor, if it's stuffed the car stays in cold start mode, therefore pumping more fuel in to try and warm the car up. Other things to look at are the thermostat, MAP sensor and HEGO sensor as well as things such as plugs, leads, fuel filter and air filter.
Ahh, that explains dellboys reference to the temp sensor, now I see how it works together.

Thanks again, will investigate further.

Cheers,
Steve

#9 ·
xr6t said:
Hmm, ok riddle me this, is it referring to the level being low by way of depth or the level being low by way of coolant content within the water. Last I checked it was just water and not much coolant but the levels were fine.
Ahh, that explains dellboys reference to the temp sensor, now I see how it works together.
Thanks again, will investigate further.
Cheers,
Steve
Low as in depth in the bottle.
As someone explained earlier if the float no longer 'floats' the sensor thinks the level is low.

The last couple of coolant level sensors I've pulled out of bottles have been stuck in one position.
The car owners were both bad bad boys and didn't think coolant was worth buying, they figured water is a lot cheaper.

There's a magnetic switch inside the sealed bit that inserts into the bottle (there's no direct connection to the float, just two magnets working on proximity to trigger a switch).
The magnets attract fine metal particles that are floating around in the cooling system, rust up and can jam the float.
Pull it out, clean it, and it works fine again.
That fixes the float but it's a 'resulting' problem.. you should look for the original cause.

I'd suggest if you've only got water in your cooling system and no coolant you're being bad too!
You're not pampering your car as Ford and the coolant manufacturers intended and your engine and radiator are on an accelerated destruction course.
That may be the reason your coolant level float has stuck.

Seriously, there's too many different metals in modern engines (Including steel pipes) to get away with just water nowadays.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.