EA-EL distributors - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2003, 00:48   #1 (permalink)

EA-EL distributors

I am installing a Haltech IG5 on my car and require a EA-EL distributor, i was just trying to work out if the EA dizzy has a no.1 cylinder locator signal or not, i am pretty positive that the EL one does, but seing that the EA's arnt sequential, i was hoping that they didn't have the signal.

As the IG5 Won't work correctly on a ford dizzy unless you modify it by changing the pulse from falling to rising and moving the sensor to a different spot, as the homing signal is on the falling side.
EA Turbo Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2003, 05:26   #2 (permalink)

Re: EA-EL distributors

el's arent sequential are they??? i didn't think that happened til au... ea mpi dizzy up til el are all the same
ebs_4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 22:57   #3 (permalink)

Do you know if all the teeth are the same, or is one a locator tooth?
Old 11-28-2003, 01:12   #4 (permalink)

EF-EL are sequential because they have a cam location sensor. This extra sensor is used for multicoils and sequential injection.

You could pull the chopper wheel then glue it in the right position without the roll pin.
not ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 12:11   #5 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

If you need a # 1 signal use an MPI dizzy. they have a smaller vane to act as a reference pulse. If you need them o be all the same use a CFI dixxy. The only difference betwen the 2 is that CFI doesn't have the smaller vane since both banks of injectors are common to all cylinders.

I guess if you had to move the signal you could re drill the pin hole at the bottom where the gear drive is but it could be a tricky operation to get it perfect. The other thing you could do is somehow mofify it and shift the TFI unit forward or backward and that will give the same result.

And for the recort EF and EL AREN't Sequrntial. All bank fired till AU
Old 11-28-2003, 12:14   #6 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Actully, couldnt you just set up the dizzy in the car to work off the trailingedge by retarding it (as you would to retard the timing)?
Old 11-29-2003, 04:37   #7 (permalink)

you cant set up the dizzy to work by retarding it to work off the trailing edge because it puts the rotor buttom out of aligment.

I have purchased a new EA MPFI dizzy for $80, and moved the pin on the wheel so that i ran run it off the rising edge rather than falling.
Old 12-03-2003, 00:52   #8 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Yep - sequential injection only came in with the AU.

Also - EF is the odd one out as it has coil pack ignition (EDIS) but they went back to dizzy for the EL.

Does anyone know for sure whether the EL dizzy is same as earlier MPI models except CFI? - I ask because I'm running an EL ECU in my ED and altho it runs pretty well I've never been able to make sense of the base timing + she seems down on bottom end compared to the std ECU.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:08   #9 (permalink)
no tire smoke no fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by not ford
EF-EL are sequential because they have a cam location sensor. This extra sensor is used for multicoils and sequential injection.

You could pull the chopper wheel then glue it in the right position without the roll pin.
As far as I know only from AU and upwards the EEC-V did sequential trigger on the injectors. On the EF all the crank sensor does it tells the computer when to invert the signal to the coil packs.

I stand corrected if I'm wrong but I'm preety sure about the above

There is a war inside my head, if I take a day off I'll die!

This cat, is cat, a cat, good cat, way cat, to cat, keep cat, a cat, idiot cat, busy cat, for cat, 20 cat, seconds cat! Now read it all without the word cat!
zbenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech